300 Norma Magnum

Karoo

Hi guys, it's my first time on a forum. I would like to ask some advice from you.

I have wanted to build a 300NM for the past 18 months now, but struggling with a few decisions. I have decided on a make barrel, twist rate, barrel profile and length for a specific bullet for ultra long range shooting - hunting included. I have decided on a scope as well with a specific reticle . The things that I have issues at the moment is deciding on a rifle action, configuration and well as a suitable stock. I am aware of all the Remington cloned rifle actions in the States, but I was looking at a Barnard action from New Zealand. Only because of the reputation amongst the world class competitors. Please bear with me, I don't want to cause a heated discussion about the reputation of other actions!

After speaking to the F-Class open world champion in Brisbane, Australia, he confirmed that I should use a Barnard action, but a single shot?!!I always wanted a magazine fed weapon. Here is why he said it: With a higher recoil weapon, if you have bullets in a magazine fed weapon whilst firing the weapon, the recoil could change the seating depth of the bullet. That in turn could cause inconstancies in pressures and could change your standard deviation of the muzzle velocities from one bullet to the next one you might have to take. As we all know, the point of impact in elevation will the change on the targets end not really at short range necessarily but definitely at longer ranges.Guys, I know these variations under a 800 yard shot might not make a difference, but I am talking about taking longer shots over 1000 yards.All of this will depend on the neck tension of the bullets of course, however, you might not get the best accuracy out of the gun with a tighter neck tension. What is your view on this?

The second thing he said was, that the 230grn Berger Hybrid bullets will not fit into a Accuracy International 5 round magazine because of the long ogive shape.(I do know this is actually a target bullet) Is that so? Will that bullet in that configuration not fit into a AI mag?? What can I do to make it fit without compromising accuracy?

Thirdly, I want to get a 100% Carbon tactical stock or alternatively a AIAX stock because of it's versatility. The problem again, is my choice in having a Barnard action that only fits in two stocks that I know of. Barnard's own and a carbon fibre made by this F- Class world champion called Wild Dog tactical stocks. I do not like the Barnard stock and the Wild Dog tactical stock is made for single shot actions only in the 300 NM calibre that I am trying to put together. Barnard actions comes with it's own triggers that is very good and should I decide to go for another trigger, my choice is CG extreme on a different action.

I know this is a mouth full, but I would like to have your opinion if possible! I don't want to make any mistakes here!

Buy what you want. Three quarters of my hunting rifles have a magazine. All of my competition F-TR rifles are single shot. About 75% of the time I will single feed the hunting rifles due to the long length cartridges you described. Not once have I wished they were single shot. There were times such as inclement weather where follow up rounds were loaded in the magazine. They weren't needed but nice to have out of the weather. I just used the dented meplat rounds for practice later.

Buy what you want and be happy. A repeater can always be used single shot but not the other way around if you ever decide to go that route. My magazine rifles have proven to be as precise as I needed them to be for hunting and glad to have the magazine as an option.

Thanks for the advice. I kind of made that decision already, but it just put my mind at ease when I hear it coming from someone else. What is your view on the XLR stock? Is that any good for long range shooting?? What about the reliability??

What is your view on the XLR stock? Is that any good for long range shooting?? What about the reliability??

Here is a link to a blog worth reading Custom Rifle Stocks – What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Find someone with a chassis stock and go shoot it. Find for yourself what you think.

Personally, I like my Manners MCS-T4A better than a chassis. I do however wish it was the Manners MCS-T6A. The T6A is easier for quick tight elevation position adjustments when using a rear bag for support.

Karoo,

I'm not sure which thread you're working with currently but the other is too long to invest a lot of time trying to figure out where you are with your decision.

Chassis article:

This covers many of the basic chassis designs with additional information.

WaGuns.org • View topic - Remington 700 - Rifle Chassis/Stock Upgrades

Here is the newer X-Ray chassis from KRG:

All Categories | Kinetic Research Group

Here is the newer Masterpiece Arms chassis:

I am working with one of these using a Defiance Rebel long action in 338 Lapua.

MPA BA Chassis - MasterPiece Arms, Inc.

I'm also working with the SABER®-FORSST® (folding rifle stock system tactical) Modular Rifle Chassis system MOD-1 for long actions. This is an extremely expensive chassis system but my favorite so far.

You will not go wrong with any of the current crop of M700 clone actions so long as you stick to the better names. I have access to most of the action makes so I have a mix of makes and long or short actions. The deepest line so far if from Defiance Machine. You can be assured that any style or accessory is available and can be machined just for you. This includes a solid SS round action in the length you need along with bottom metal for AICS CIP length magazines which allow you to seat the bullets out further than SAAMI. There is also a tactical style action with a built in rail (your choice of angle) with an integral recoil lug.

Surgeon is always a stand in for the best action in a build such as yours. I wouldn't ever hesitate to run a Surgeon.

Stiller makes a fairly sturdy large, round, long action for the big bore shooters which I've been using using on several builds recently. It's the TAC338. I've been building on the TAC408 as well but it's oversize for your needs.

There are a dozen others but a search will net you a good list with these being the ones I use most frequently.

Regards.

Sable tireur,

Thanks for the great information that you gave me. I was trying to get some stuff from the States for my new rifle that I had in mind, but ran into all sorts of problems with the export regulations and the waiting time was too long for me. I did not really wanted to wait more than 6 months just to get just a rifle action into GB.

I decided on the following weapon:

The Barnard '10' Rifle

It might not look that great, but apart from the fact that it is not a folding stock, the gun is SUPER accurate and give me all the ticks in the right boxes. There will be a few extras that I will get as well and the muzzle break in the picture will be different. The bolt will be lightly spirald fluted. The barrel will have interrupted fluting so it should come out nice.

It will be put together by:

Dolphin Gun Co - Customers Rifles

The person building this rifle is in charge of the GB F-Class team and is very successful gun builder. He was so impressed with the ballistics of the 300NM that he will be building one for himself just with a different twist rate and barrel.

I am really looking forward having this gun by August. If the gun looks ok, we will take some foto's and put it on his website.

Best regards and thanks for all your effort sending me all this information.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.