.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

I know we are anxiously awaiting Lapua and Peterson brass but Bullets.com had 300 Brass for an absolute steal. In fact it was too good of a deal and it is already sold out.

It sure was a deal! I ordered a bunch since it was in stock and 3 days later I got an email saying it wasn't in stock and my order was cancelled. I know they were going out of business and probably logs of orders but that is a crummy deal!

Sad that bullets is going down, they were by far the best March optics retailer price wise. Always had good inventory of brass too. They're merging with Grizzly tool so we'll have to see what stuff stays around.

I know we are anxiously awaiting Lapua and Peterson brass but Bullets.com had 300 Brass for an absolute steal. In fact it was too good of a deal and it is already sold out.

Yea, I saw that too and at $38.75 for 25 piece box I did manage to get a couple.

Tried to get some 180gr Elite Hunter bullets but got notified those were sold out.

Life is good again. Considering switching powders with my 230s from RE33 to something with a little more temp stability as I moved to an area with a little more extreme temps. Not sure yet I haven't fired this thing in 4 months.

Attachments

• 20180502_083514.jpg
    20180502_083514.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 257
I didn't read through all 29 pages, just the last 6 or so. What velocity are the 300 Norma improved guys seeing with the 230's ?

I shoot 3045fps with a very mild load. It will shoot over 3100fps but it shoots like a benchrest gun at that velocity. 3 shots in the .1's are the norm not the exception.

My 40 degree improved shoots 3060 with a mild load. I have been over 3120 with RL33 but primer pockets were toast after 1 or 2 shots (Norma brass). Perhaps the forthcoming Lapua brass will handle the top pressure loads with a bit more longevity.

My 40 degree improved shoots 3060 with a mild load. I have been over 3120 with RL33 but primer pockets were toast after 1 or 2 shots (Norma brass). Perhaps the forthcoming Lapua brass will handle the top pressure loads with a bit more longevity.

I have built a few standard 300 Normas now, case life isn't great, the brass is pretty tough & doesn't seem to shrink back enough, the pockets are fine.

My Defiance would start to Primary Extract after 6-7 reloads, A clients Stiller is cranky after only 3-4 reloads even after he has backed the load off.

Possibly the new brass from Lapua, Petersen & Bertram will alleviate this issue a little ?

FWIW I have the same problem with my custom 338 Norma chambered Barrett 98B except the Barrett has very little Primary extraction so backing the load right off & beating the bolt handle are the norm.... here's hoping the new brass helps.....

Years ago I made some 338 Norma brass out of Lapua 338 LM brass, I couldn't get any more performance from it, it had a smaller case capacity, this was in a big Barnard P-Chey action with a 32" barrel, it shot very well.

Anyone tried 8133 yet? I went out and did some testing with RE 33 as Im not as concerned about toasting my norma brass with newer and better on the horizon and man that stuff likes to run warm.