300 Norma mag

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 110
Roger that ! that list is from Norma's 2013 reloading manual ...

I don't think the order is correct on that chart.

I don't know where 217 belongs but based on the placement of some of the other powders, I'd be cautious about thinking it belongs where they put it.

I don't think the order is correct on that chart.

I don't know where 217 belongs but based on the placement of some of the other powders, I'd be cautious about thinking it belongs where they put it.

Burning Rate Charts all differ in placement of powders simply because of so many other variables in components and guns , I bet even barrel length has some effect and can alter powder burn rate .

One thing all the charts have in common though ...
A disclaimer that they are only a guide ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 83
This thread has been bogged down with burn rates! Does anyone have specific loads for their 300NM that includes the following:

Bullet manufacturer & weight
Powder type & charge weight
Primer
Velocity
Barrel length

"""This thread has been bogged down with burn rates! Does anyone have specific loads for their 300NM that includes the following:

Primer
Velocity
Barrel length"""""

I will be testing a recent build in 300 norma mag shortly will post when finished

build specs are:
Defiance deviant hunter action
benchmark #5 10 twist 26"
manners EH4 stock
NXS 5.5-22x50

I will be testing a recent build in 300 norma mag shortly will post when finished

build specs are:
Defiance deviant hunter action
benchmark #5 10 twist 26"
manners EH4 stock
NXS 5.5-22x50

Build sounds like an excellent combo of components! I'm having my build done with a 1-10 twist too in the hopes of gaining a little more velocity over a 1-9. I'll be interested to see your results.

Build sounds like an excellent combo of components! I'm having my build done with a 1-10 twist too in the hopes of gaining a little more velocity over a 1-9. I'll be interested to see your results.

Chapter one in the latest Bryan Litz book is about twist rates and muzzle velocity. He says the twist rate has no significant effect on velocity.

"""This thread has been bogged down with burn rates! Does anyone have specific loads for their 300NM that includes the following:

Primer
Velocity
Barrel length"""""

Berger 230 Hybrid
83.5gr Retumbo
BR-2 primer
2940fps in 26" barrel 1:9.5
this works in my rifle and is a near max load, be careful please.
This is the most accurate load I've found.

Last edited:
Variations from barrel to barrel will have a greater effect on velocity than a one inch difference in twist rate. A bullet leaves the barrel with only so much energy, by spinning the bullet faster you rob a few foot pounds of muzzle energy that are converted into rotational energy. When you run the calculations of how many FPS those few foot pounds are worth, it comes out to an insignificant value. You gain far more in stability capability's than the few FPS you lose. As mentioned its in Bryan Litz's Book.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.