300 Norma Mag Primer Pockets

chadman

Is anyone experiencing loose primer pockets with 300 Norma brass? After three firings my brass is about done. Not sure if my chamber is on the big side or what's going on?
Krieger barrel on defiance action//84.4 retumbo//230 match hybrid Berger .010 in lands//fed 215 match// Norma brass. I've switched to cci 250's, not much better.
Any recommendations?

Back your powder charge down.... or find a different load.
I try to get at least 5-7 firings on each brass before failure....

Your charge should be fine. Berger lists 84.5gr of Retumbo as a starting load. Do you have new brass (bought over the last couple of weeks) or older brass? Just wondering. Maybe a bad batch of brass??

Your charge should be fine. Berger lists 84.5gr of Retumbo as a starting load. Do you have new brass (bought over the last couple of weeks) or older brass? Just wondering. Maybe a bad batch of brass??

Bought 200 rds over 1 1/2 years ago. Just bought 50 rds this week thinking that as well. Jon did you email berger for data?

Just received them yesterday. I will trial 5 and see what happens. I appreciate the link, I aquired much info from guys on the hide as well. I hope that it is that first lot of brass, I know 84.4 is a mild load. Anything over that was giving me a plunger mark. I'll get these ran through a few times and let you know. Thanks again

Just received them yesterday. I will trial 5 and see what happens. I appreciate the link, I aquired much info from guys on the hide as well. I hope that it is that first lot of brass, I know 84.4 is a mild load. Anything over that was giving me a plunger mark. I'll get these ran through a few times and let you know. Thanks again

Sounds good. I (as well as many others I suspect) look forward to hearing what you find.

I hope that it is that first lot of brass, I know 84.4 is a mild load. Anything over that was giving me a plunger mark.

It's not a mild load (in that brass at least) in your rifle if you are getting brass deformation at any higher charge. We don't do load run ups for play; they are to see how much your rifle can safely digest before there's a chance of spitting the bolt (or shrapnel from a failed case) back at you. Your rifle just happens to not eat as much charge before the pressure is too high. I suspect you have at least one thing going on to push your pressures up quickly; bullet in the lands, long brass, etc...

Is anyone experiencing loose primer pockets with 300 Norma brass? After three firings my brass is about done. Not sure if my chamber is on the big side or what's going on?
Krieger barrel on defiance action//84.4 retumbo//230 match hybrid Berger .010 in lands//fed 215 match// Norma brass. I've switched to cci 250's, not much better.
Any recommendations?

Your primer you have listed is a Federal 215 ?? You have "Match", but isn't the 215 primer actually "Magnum" ?? That would increase your pressure wouldn't it, if your original load was originally worked up using a Match primer (210 M) instead of a Magnum??

Your primer you have listed is a Federal 215 ?? You have "Match", but isn't the 215 primer actually "Magnum" ?? That would increase your pressure wouldn't it, if your original load was originally worked up using a Match primer (210 M) instead of a Magnum??

Federal 215 magnum large rifle and 215 magnum large rifle match. Basically the same, just like cci 200 and br2.

I did not realize that Fed made a 215 Magnum Match. All these years I have been loading my .340 Wby with the 215. Thanks for the heads-up.
I have enough trouble finding the 215, but if I can find the 215 Magnum Match, I will certainly try them. I understand the most experienced people in the plant are the ones who make the Match primers, supposedly because they are more precise at their craft.

Norma brass is soft, I get ejector marks with start loads from my 300 Weatherby. The primers are still very rounded, you can see that it is a very mild load. You can also feel it with felt recoil. I ask this very same question early last month, and everyone said Norma brass is soft. I have also noticed if their is case lube left on the cases after reloading, that can give you a false reading of over pressure along with oil in the barrel especially the chamber area.

Norma brass is very good consistent brass, just soft..

I messaged a fellow Hide member with this question and he said he's only getting 4 reloads per case with the 230's running at 2950fps. It's a great round, but the brass definitely isn't Lapua quality!

Norma brass is soft and the primer pockets loosen up fast. I as well as many buddies have found that out over the years. I just tried a win primer and it was a little tighter than the fed 215. In my 270wsm Norma brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.