300 Norma mag or 30 Nos

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
An improved case with low body taper helps to some degree by dispersing more of the pressure on the sidewall, but that doesn't mean it's a substitute for the right action.

Just to throw in some more confusion....

Remington is making two factory .338 Lapuas on standard Remington 700 actions. Here is the link to them on the Remington site:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-xcr-tactical

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-tactical-chassis

Many people used to say that they wouldn't build one on a standard 700 action due to the fact that Remington doesn't even do it with their own rifles. Well, that is no longer valid. However, I would never say it's a bad idea to build on a stronger action. And, currently I am putting together a .338 Norma on a Stiller tac 338 action. So, take it for what it's worth.

Here is Jim Borden's opinion............

I have had numerous requests for either rifles built in 338 Lapua or actions for the 338 Lapua. Currently, I do not make my standard actions (Timberline, Timberline Magnum or Rimrock LSR) to accept the 338 Lapua case. I have two primary concerns about making the actions at their current dimensions to accept the 338 Lapua round. The first concern is that the bolt nose edges on a .7000 diameter bolt will be very thin and fragile with a 338 Lapua Boltface (.595) and the lug shear area even though it is greater than a Rem 700 seems marginal to me for the 338 Lapua and its bolt thrust. The second area of concern is the thread tenon diameter. The actions have a 1 1/16x18 thread and the barrel would be threaded the same. The root diameter of a 1 1/16x18 thread is about .990 inch. With a chamber diameter of .595, this leaves a wall thickness of .1975. Using a simple of model of the tenon alone and Chamber pressures of 65,000 psi results in a hoop tensile stress in the barrel tenon of 94,000 psi. The yield strength of 416R Stainless steel at 26 Rc is about 107,000 psi. So the SF (Safety Factor) for this application is only 1.1 which is well below what is recommended minimum of 1.5.

Dang....
I'm planning on using a ti Lapua action from Mesa arms. Would I have any issues with an action specifically designed for the lapua?
John should be done with my rifle very soon, crux ti, 300 norma. I'm excited! I'd think they'd stand behind the action of bolt setback did occur. I believe John has built quite a few already.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.