300 norma mag loads

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I should be getting my 300 Norma mag put together in a few weeks, it's been a long long wait for my Remage barrel and now I need to figure out powder.

I'm having the barrel throated for 225 ELDM's, it's a 26" 8 twist.
I was planning on starting with Retumbo but it's supper hard to find at times, so I would like to give H1000 a go.

I want to be around 3000 FPS with the 225 but temp stability takes priority.

Anyone have some load advice?
I'm using Lapua brass BTW, I bought a box of Berger ammo just for the brass..
First time I've bought loaded ammo in frickin years..

I should be getting my 300 Norma mag put together in a few weeks, it's been a long long wait for my Remage barrel and now I need to figure out powder.
I ran some 225's through my 30 Sherman Mag yesterday with N570 at 3059'. It's pretty stable.

I'm having the barrel throated for 225 ELDM's, it's a 26" 8 twist.
I was planning on starting with Retumbo but it's supper hard to find at times, so I would like to give H1000 a go.

I want to be around 3000 FPS with the 225 but temp stability takes priority.

Anyone have some load advice?
I'm using Lapua brass BTW, I bought a box of Berger ammo just for the brass..
First time I've bought loaded ammo in frickin years..

Where the heck are you finding N570?
That stuff is rare as Unicorn farts!
I would like to try N565 but that's probably a dream too..

Start at 81.5 grains of H1000 and 215M primers with the 225s, that's where I started with Peterson brass and it was a good , safe beginning load . You might not quite make it to 3000 FPS, but it's possible.

You really don't need to max out the load with this combination, I ran mine at 2960 and it hammered to 1680 yards.

Start at 81.5 grains of H1000 and 215M primers with the 225s, that's where I started with Peterson brass and it was a good , safe beginning load . You might not quite make it to 3000 FPS, but it's possible.

You really don't need to max out the load with this combination, I ran mine at 2960 and it hammered to 1680 yards.
Thank you that's very helpful.
2960 would be fine with me, I've been hearing reports of guys burning out their barrels in 600 rounds when pushed hard.
I'm hoping to get over 1000 rounds out of my barrel.

You'll likely find a great load between 83-85 grains or so , work em up and enjoy . I would still start lower to verify that there's nothing wrong with the combination that could cause premature pressure.

You'll likely find a great load between 83-85 grains or so , work em up and enjoy . I would still start lower to verify that there's nothing wrong with the combination that could cause premature pressure.
That sounds like a lot of H1000 behind a 225? I've never shot a Norma, so I have no experience. I just base that on my 30 case.

It was perfectly safe In my Norma with Peterson brass and 225 ELD-M'S. Many others are running a stiffer charge but I don't see the need to flirt with over pressure loads .

When I was using Norma brand brass , everything showed pressure and was a waste of time and components. I recommend everyone with a 300 or 338 Norma to avoid the Norma brass. Peterson and Lapua brass is the only choice in my opinion.

It was perfectly safe In my Norma with Peterson brass and 225 ELD-M'S. Many others are running a stiffer charge but I don't see the need to flirt with over pressure loads .
What velocity did you reach at max?

When I was using Norma brand brass , everything showed pressure and was a waste of time and components. I recommend everyone with a 300 or 338 Norma to avoid the Norma brass. Peterson and Lapua brass is the only choice in my opinion.

I run Norma brand in my 300 norma it'll run to max PSI recommended for the case without issue and stupid great accuracy. Most will run in 2990-3050 range with 230 berger from a 26" barrel H1000 is my go too in every single one... yeah it may not get "unbelievable velocities" but it has a real nice burn rate doesn't torch the barrel super easy clean up and absolutely no swings from 2000ft-10,000

Just got done doing load work with 225s in Peterson brass in my 300 Norma and settled in at 82.9 gr H1000 with FGMM mag primers. I was right at 3005 fps.
Awesome!
what's your oal and barrel length?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.