300 Norma Mag light weight receiver

C
I'm building a 300 NMI myself. After a lot of research went with the Borden Bigfoot. It's not a light weight but the bolt and lugs are more substantial than any of the other actions I looked at. My build isn't a light weight though, it'll finish at 15 pounds or so scoped.
Can't wait to see it. I went back and forth forever on that round or lapua improved I went lapua. No reason just because. I ended up taking the easy route and did a savage action that started as a standard.338 lapua.

I have quite a bit of experience with Lapua sized cases. As Highdrum said, you want 1-1/8" threads and large lugs. Two actions meet the requirements. BAT HR and Borden Bigfoot. Bolt thrust on these cases is far more than other rounds with smaller diameter. BTW you don't want an ultralight rifle chambered in a big 338. It will be to hard to manage when trying to stay on target
All of my big magnum rounds (300 RUM, 338 EDGE, 358/300 RUM, 375 RUM & 416/300 RUM) are chambered in Shilen barrels mated to small shank Savage 110 actions using their lock nut system for setting headspace. I have had no difficulty over several years of use with heavy loads on big bullets. Just yesterday I shot several EDGE rounds with 300g SMK bullets with 104g of US 869 powder (low cost and available) 2750fps with that load out of a 26" barrel.

The wider the case the more force on the lugs. I have a 338 edge as well on a standard magnum defiance action.

The Lapua sized cases are .040 wider. When most companies increase the boot diameter from .700 to .750, but leave the tennon the same the lugs get smaller. You don't want smaller lugs are a bigger round.

Agreed. I have no intention of going to cases of larger diameter than the RUM. The force acting on the lugs relates to the breech area times the maximum pressure in the chamber.

A65C7B42-F0DF-4152-BADB-CCF4D453527C.jpeg
212E29E7-8B24-44D4-9504-D5EB631A1D12.jpeg
My 338 NMI at the ready to hunt weight.
RBROS build
ATACR scope,Harris bipod,sling, 3 rounds in the mag.
I can lose a pound with out the bipod and scope shade. Then another 8oz. or so if a different scope was used.
For me it's perfect weight to shoot consistently in the field with. I've had lighter ones but they thump the $!?@ out of me and make practice sessions no fun for me to learn from.
Yes I pack this every year deer and elk hunting.
Just some more info for the OP

View attachment 342855View attachment 342856My 338 NMI at the ready to hunt weight.
RBROS build
I can lose a pound with out the bipod and scope shade. Then another 8oz. or so if a different scope was used.
For me it's perfect weight to shoot consistently in the field with. I've had lighter ones but they thump the $!?@ out of me and make practice sessions no fun for me to learn from.
I am pretty close to yours; my estimate (do not have an actual weight of stock and barrel - the estimate is 4.5 lbs for each); 11.56 lbs suppressed, no ammo/mag, no sling, or bipod.

View attachment 342855View attachment 342856My 338 NMI at the ready to hunt weight.
RBROS build
I have a .300 WSM that comes in at ~11 pounds. Good for 1K on elk and not to heavy to pack around. The NMI is intended as a fixed position rifle for the 1200+ yard elk across a canyon I hunt.

Absolutely. I prefer my 13 pound edge. Spotting hits at 600. Easier to stay on target.

My 338 EDGE Savage 110 with Hogue stock, 6-24 Vortex, 26" barrel with 2" muzzle brake weights right at 11lbs. Recoil not an issue for hunting (I don't plan a quick second shot). DRT or short run is normal on white tails. If they do not drop there is no chance of a second shot (they are VERY quick) until they stop. I use a pad for more than five shots on the bench: EDGE pushes hard.

RBROS build
What bullet and velocity are you getting with your RBH set up?

Recent Posts