300 Norma Mag Improved. Follow along!!!

If that stick is straight, and I suspect it is, I bet you'll get groups less than 1/2 the size of what your seeing now.

I see your using Peterson brass. Have you fireformed any Lapua or ADG yet? I've got both Lapua and ADG. I know Mike at one time told me to get Lapua, and the ADG I found at a really good price so I pick some of it up as well.

How are you liking the evolution bipod now that you have shot off it a bit? Have you owned an Atlas to compare it to?
I'm liking it!! I have used an atlas also and I believe the atlas holds a little tighter tolerances on the leg extensions. The evolution has some slop with the legs fully extended.

But the evolution is still a very solid bipod. I also know the modularity with the longer legs extensions will definitely come in handy at some point!

I see your using Peterson brass. Have you fireformed any Lapua or ADG yet? I've got both Lapua and ADG. I know Mike at one time told me to get Lapua, and the ADG I found at a really good price so I pick some of it up as well.

I have not messed with anything but the Peterson at this point. I do have Lapua though, if I run through this 100 pieces of Peterson for some reason.

Made a range trip this morning for a seating depth test. Seated .025, .05 & .075 deeper than my last load. The groups all pretty much averaged 5/8 MOA. Except I lost about 6fps with each change in depth.

So with a solid, freshly verified, 100 yard zero and my original load, I went back to 700 and then 900 yards to verify drops and BC. Velocity averaged right at 3400fps. You can see the advertised BC of .272 already starting to not line up with the 700 yard group. I adjusted for it before the 900 yard group. Which ended up truing the BC to .248 g7.

I really don't believe this rifle wants to shoot this bullet much better than this. But with some consistent range trips, I think 900 yards will be a very killable range with this setup.

All the the other impacts are my buddies 28 nosler that we were out shooting. I sold him my old gun loaded for 155 hammers and it shoots extremely well.

10F90D50-366A-442D-95F1-5445BEFCCE1E.jpeg

D69EF6E0-D293-4288-ABF1-94AFA3E54A00.jpeg

So finally load with the 181's is

181 Hammer Hunter
96gr. H1000
CCI 250
Peterson brass
3400fps

Good looking rifles! I'm guilty of always chasing small groups as well with my nmi, but at the end of the day my groups need to be in the kill box every day I go practice at the range. If I can hit a 8"-10" target at any range consistently first round impact, then I'm confident in my ability and rifles ability to make kills at that range. Groups are always fun, but real works sometimes says to hell with your groups haha. Put it into perspective sometime, and I think your 900yd groups will kill all day.

Good looking rifles! I'm guilty of always chasing small groups as well with my nmi, but at the end of the day my groups need to be in the kill box every day I go practice at the range. If I can hit a 8"-10" target at any range consistently first round impact, then I'm confident in my ability and rifles ability to make kills at that range. Groups are always fun, but real works sometimes says to hell with your groups haha. Put it into perspective sometime, and I think your 900yd groups will kill all day.
Oh man, I couldn't agree more. I shot the barrel out of my 28 nosler in one year, just chasing groups and testing bullets. I'm try to learn my lesson on this one. Maybe I'll get two years out of it 😅

Oh man, I couldn't agree more. I shot the barrel out of my 28 nosler in one year, just chasing groups and testing bullets. I'm try to learn my lesson on this one. Maybe I'll get two years out of it 😅
You will get much more barrel life with H1000 than with N570 but either way you should be ordering a barrel pretty quick as it will be the longest waiting period for a build component

I'll definitely order a barrel soon, or possibly even a barreled action with a standard lone peak Fuzion and Bartlein spiral fluted. Not totally sure on caliber yet though…
You will get much more barrel life with H1000 than with N570 but either way you should be ordering a barrel pretty quick as it will be the longest waiting period for a build component

Keep dialing it in, just shot a 5 shot group at 976yds this morning with my nmi, n570 and 245 bergers. Group measured 4.3". Keep on tuning and tweaking and it will come around! I've got almost 500rds down my barrel and still like to play around with it.

Keep dialing it in, just shot a 5 shot group at 976yds this morning with my nmi, n570 and 245 bergers. Group measured 4.3". Keep on tuning and tweaking and it will come around! I've got almost 500rds down my barrel and still like to play around with it.
That's a hell of a group! What are your rifle specs?

That's a hell of a group! What are your rifle specs?
Ryan Pierce built 300 nmi, kelbly action, manners eh1, proof 26" 1:9 barrel, 5.5-22x56 NXS. 89gr n570, Lapua brass and 245 Berger in a medium node at 2950fps. Could run it hotter but this one is consistent and hits like a freight train. Rolled a black bear over sideways last season, sat there like a turtle on its back haha.

Ryan Pierce built 300 nmi, kelbly action, manners eh1, proof 26" 1:9 barrel, 5.5-22x56 NXS. 89gr n570, Lapua brass and 245 Berger in a medium node at 2950fps. Could run it hotter but this one is consistent and hits like a freight train. Rolled a black bear over sideways last season, sat there like a turtle on its back haha.
Badass dude!! My buddy has one built by Ryan also and it's a tack driver too! I'm torn on if I'd rather have a steel action, or a steel barrel… or both on my next setup.

I'll see if my tinkering mind gets control of me haha. But I just think my time would be better spent learning the wind and building confidence in cold bore shots with this load before the season.

Recent Posts