300 Norma Mag Improved. Follow along!!!

Just verified at both 1030 and 1180 yards, that my current load does in fact have .3 mil of vertical inconsistency, even with consistent velocities. It wasn't just a coincidence on the 850 yard group from this morning.

But I do have 50 pieces of now twice fired brass to do real load development with. Stay tuned 🤷🏽‍♂️ Lol.
At those velocities, I would run a ladder test at 700-800 or so, and look for vertical and group shape, that should get you tuned in. An e.s. in the teens is fine by me for hunting distances, 1200 or less, as long as vertical is hanging under half MOA when I do my part in good conditions.

At those velocities, I would run a ladder test at 700-800 or so, and look for vertical and group shape, that should get you tuned in. An e.s. in the teens is fine by me for hunting distances, 1200 or less, as long as vertical is hanging under half MOA when I do my part in good conditions.
This is a great recommendation! Thank you! I honestly probably would have skipped this step, and now it'll be my starting point because I think this will be a perfect solution. .5gr increments too much for this kind of tuning?

one thing I've noticed with h1000.... never clean it!! ive seen rifles with 800 plus rounds on them burning 98-100gr of h1000 never cleaned once.. just food for thought!
Really?!?! ****, that's wild. I don't know if my OCD will allow it, but I'll try to avoid cleaning for a little while to test it out anyways haha

.5 grains is only 0.55 % of your load so I thing that fine for a ladder unless you are focusing in on one particular area then I might do 0.4 grains.
I have one rifle I am experimenting with Tubb Dust decoppering agent that David sent me to try. So far at ~60 rounds of .243 WIN there is no copper fouling except the last few inches of the barrel. Interesting stuff that was for battle ship guns so they didn't have to clean them as it's a big pain.

Last edited:
This is a great recommendation! Thank you! I honestly probably would have skipped this step, and now it'll be my starting point because I think this will be a perfect solution. .5gr increments too much for this kind of tuning?

Really?!?! ****, that's wild. I don't know if my OCD will allow it, but I'll try to avoid cleaning for a little while to test it out anyways haha
With charges up to 50 grains, I usually do .1 grain jumps, up to 80 grains or so .2 grains, from 80 up to the biggest I have done, mid 90 grain charges, I usually do .3 grains personally. Kinda depends how much you want to balance fine tuning vs component usage, and how close your load is at this point.

.5 grains is only 0.55 % of your load so I thing that fine for a ladder unless you are focusing in on one particular area then I might do 0.4 grains.
I have one rifle I am experimenting with Tubb Dust decoppering agent that David sent me to try. So far at ~60 rounds of .243 WIN there is no copper fouling except the last few inches of the barrel. Interesting stuff that was for battle ship guns so the didn't have to clean them as it's a big pain.
With charges up to 50 grains, I usually do .1 grain jumps, up to 80 grains or so .2 grains, from 80 up to the biggest I have done, mid 90 grain charges, I usually do .3 grains personally. Kinda depends how much you want to balance fine tuning vs component usage, and how close your load is at this point.
Awesome. I think in the twice fired, I'll load up 93.6, 94.0 & 94.4 for the initial test. To balance component usage with hopefully a group that stands out!

Does anyone make one paired with an aggressive brake like his ? I've only seen radial brake tuners.
Gunwerks has one of sorts. Like it on my 7LRM Magnus.

Attachments

• Gunwerks Directional Tuner brake.PNG
    Gunwerks Directional Tuner brake.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 56