300 Norma Mag Improved. Follow along!!!

Took 3.0 Mil for 700 yard center impact at sea level.

I ended up bringing my 200 yard zero up .1 mil (it was cutting the bottom of the bullseye) and bringing the BC from .28 to the stated .272 G7 to compensate for the initial .2 mil low impacts.
Sounds like your right there as my dope to 700 is also 3.0 mils from a 200yd zero using a .276 G7. A little tweaking left and it will be time to lock it all down and burn out the barrel.

Sighted in the new scope at 200 and then took it out to 700. 5 shot group was .75 MOA, then I made a .2 mil adjustment and shot the bullseye. Not GREAT but also not terrible considering there was already solid mirage in the air. Then killed a coyote at 200 yards on the way home. So a solid early morning of shooting. Took 3.0 Mil for 700 yard center impact at sea level.

I ended up bringing my 200 yard zero up .1 mil (it was cutting the bottom of the bullseye) and bringing the BC from .28 to the stated .272 G7 to compensate for the initial .2 mil low impacts.

View attachment 374013
View attachment 374014
View attachment 374015
View attachment 374016
Without going back thru the thread, what's your load ? Great shooting and successful fawn killer removal. Excellent job.

I would be interested to hear your initial thoughts and after a full season which you favor more this or your 28 Nosler.

Sounds like your right there as my dope to 700 is also 3.0 mils from a 200yd zero using a .276 G7. A little tweaking left and it will be time to lock it all down and burn out the barrel.
Good to hear we have very similar ballistics!

Still want to verify cold dirty bore impacts and that the BC holds true out to 1000.

Without going back thru the thread, what's your load ? Great shooting and successful fawn killer removal. Excellent job.
Right now I'm at my once fired brass with

.003 Neck Tension
181 Hammer Hunter
94gr. H1000
215M primer

I would be interested to hear your initial thoughts and after a full season which you favor more this or your 28 Nosler.
I'm curious also!! Felt recoil doesn't seem much different honestly. Super manageable and not even an issue at all. So basically my 28 was shooting a 169 HH at 3250 and this is shooting a 181HH at 3330. Bigger frontal diameter, heavier bullet, going faster, with a better BC. I think I'll like it!

I've owned a few 28 Noslers and now my 300 NMI. The 28 is a wicked nice round and never left me wanting but it's very hard on barrels and throats grow quickly.

The 300 NMI will shoot a heavier bullet with similar speed and ballistics with more energy on target but is much nicer to the throat area while still having similar recoil and rifle weights.

The down side of the Norma is the Lapua bolt face and the somewhat limited actions that use the bigger bolt and lugs that the Lapua/ Norma case really needs

The ideal 28 powders are things like R33 (carbon rings fast) or the N series of powders which while fast and consistent are harder on throats then h1000 or Retumbo. The same holds true using it in the NMI but the shoulder on the NMI holds the flame back longer so it's less exaggerated.

In both my NMI and 28's I chose to shoot Retumbo as it's nicer on the barrel and doesn't give up much speed.

In my 300 NMI I am shooting 88.5 gr Retumbo with the 230 hybrid at 3100 fps. Sd's and ES are almost always single digits and groups are sub 1/2 MOA with boring regularity. I've played with the 199 HH and had it around 3250 fps and showed promise but so far I'm sticking with the heavier hybrid for my uses.

The ideal 28 powders are things like R33 (carbon rings fast) or the N series of powders which while fast and consistent are harder on throats then h1000 or Retumbo. The same holds true using it in the NMI but the shoulder on the NMI holds the flame back longer so it's less exaggerated.
I was told N570 erodes the throat 30-40% faster than H1000 by Shawn at DE

Holy Smokes!! He would have a pretty good insight on that I'm sure!

All I know is I shot out a 1/2"+ of throat in my 28 Nosler with about 850 rounds shooting N570 from 82-88gr in various loads. The only thing it would shoot at the end were the hammers. 195's would fly to pieces right out of the barrel lol.

All I know is I shot out a 1/2"+ of throat in my 28 Nosler with about 850 rounds shooting N570 from 82-88gr in various loads. The only thing it would shoot at the end were the hammers. 195's would fly to pieces right out of the barrel lol.
Did you shoot it constantly or did you shoot it randomly and never heated up the barrel?

I've owned a few 28 Noslers and now my 300 NMI. The 28 is a wicked nice round and never left me wanting but it's very hard on barrels and throats grow quickly.

The 300 NMI will shoot a heavier bullet with similar speed and ballistics with more energy on target but is much nicer to the throat area while still having similar recoil and rifle weights.

The down side of the Norma is the Lapua bolt face and the somewhat limited actions that use the bigger bolt and lugs that the Lapua/ Norma case really needs

In both my NMI and 28's I chose to shoot Retumbo as it's nicer on the barrel and doesn't give up much speed.

In my 300 NMI I am shooting 88.5 gr Retumbo with the 230 hybrid at 3100 fps. Sd's and ES are almost always single digits and groups are sub 1/2 MOA with boring regularity. I've played with the 199 HH and had it around 3250 fps and showed promise but so far I'm sticking with the heavier hybrid for my uses.
Did you consider the 30 Nosler or were you dead set on the nosler.

Did you shoot it constantly or did you shoot it randomly and never heated up the barrel?
I was VERY cautious to never heat up the barrel. Almost always 3 minutes between shots, and I don't think I ever had a range session for more than 20-30 rounds.

Did you consider the 30 Nosler or were you dead set on the nosler.
I didn't consider the 30 Nosler honestly. I wanted a bigger 30 and a good buddy already had a 300 NMI so I was already kind of focusing my efforts in that direction.

WOW !!!

I'm not Shawn nor do I have as many rounds down a 28N as he does but my 2 barrels worth certainly showed 570 was harsher then 2 barrels on 28's using Retumbo.
Did you consider the 30 Nosler or were you dead set on the Norma.
I wasn't anti 30 Nosler and was actually considering it but if going that route I would have chosen a 30/28 Nosler for the increased case capacity. I just fell into the Norma with a proper action and went from there.

I was VERY cautious to never heat up the barrel. Almost always 3 minutes between shots, and I don't think I ever had a range session for more than 20-30 rounds.

I didn't consider the 30 Nosler honestly. I wanted a bigger 30 and a good buddy already had a 300 NMI so I was already kind of focusing my efforts in that direction.
Ok
I shoot my 28 very limited but not to much of a need. I check my zero at hunting season and that is it and then off to the hunt. I run N570.