300 Norma Improved. Load testing, info, and builds

I wonder if I have one those first dies Ryan. I have a 33° BC die from the first run, and I still have clickers. I wasn't going to say anything because it's not what's being conversed here. I may have to contact them and find out. Idk if you're still using the chamber body dimensions from Bjays 33° version or if things changed recently, but Wheelers chamber is a thou larger at 200 line and almost 3 thou larger at the shoulder.
Im using one of their first dies and have no bolt click until hot loads. The thou larger at the 200 line won't change anything since the brass starts out significantly smaller than the 200 line of the improved chambers. The BC die sizes it quite a bit smaller than the chamber dimension.

You can only squeeze it so much. You cant make a die smaller than virgin brass unless you want to crack it, so the only way to get more sizing is to increase the chamber size. So the thou at the .200 line does change things. Brass size, chamber size and die size all have to work together.

You can only squeeze it so much. You cant make a die smaller than virgin brass unless you want to crack it, so the only way to get more sizing is to increase the chamber size. So the thou at the .200 line does change things. Brass size, chamber size and die size all have to work together.
I realize you cant make it size smaller than virgin brass. However the bc die is sizing the brass more than enough to not get bolt clicks even after several firings and warmer loads. Im not getting a bolt click until there is a noticeable ejector mark. I did a powder charge test on a friends rifle and didn't get a bolt click until 3125 fps with a 245 berger and N570, 26" proof. At 3065 fps it shot a group well under an inch at 580 yds and no bolt clicks. That was with brass that had over 5 firings on it as I had it laying around the shop from sighting customers rifles in with. I have a N568 and 245 berger load @3025 fps in my personal rifle that just shot a group with .6"/.098 moa vertical at 580 yds. Wasn't concerned about the 3" left and right since it was a 15 mph cross wind. Doing a ladder test with N568 and 230 otms and the 5 gr spread is a half moa vertical group at 580 yds. At 3154 I started to get the first signs of pressure. Was a very slight click. Not even that noticeable. In my 338 norma improved version I had a 5 shot group at 580 yds with 1.1"/.181 moa vertical and a 300 gr berger at 2865 fps. No bolt click in the 26" proof. What more can a guy ask for LOL. Id say the brass size, chamber size and die size are all working pretty dang good.

Last edited:
check out this nice bull shot by a customer at 1300 yds with his 300 norma improved. 230 bergers.
surdez.jpg

I have some on my website that are for the standard 300 Norma. Not the improved version. The improved version dies I have will only work with my improved version.

Ryan or Alex I've read through this entire thread hoping to see a picture of one of the actual cartridges.

Can one of you please post a picture of the actual cartridge loaded with whatever bullet you typically use (preferably 230 Hybrid of you have any).

What kind of speed can you get with the 230 OTM? Powder & charge weight?
Depends on the powder. The best load for my rifle is N568 and a 230 otm at 2990 fps. Not hot but mind boggling accurate. Single digit es for 10 shots. Heres the last two groups I shot with the rifle. 580 yds had .933" and .39" vertical. Thats with a 15x tangent theta and shooting off a bipod. I also shot a 3" group at 1000 with it.

N570 will get a guy to the 3050 node with 230s.

I have brass with over 30 firings on it and the primer pocket feels almost brand new.

group 1.jpg
group 2.jpg