300 Norma Improved. Load testing, info, and builds

@rpierce what's the point of doing a 300 NMI at only 2950 and not just doing a 30 Nosler with proper freebore at 2950 with h1000 and that's still not hot rodding it? That just happened to be a super accurate node in that rifle? Why not run 245's at 2950 if that's the speed you like? Might as well take advantage of the case and still not hot rod it. Just thinking out loud and you're one of the best so not saying you're wrong. Just wanting to understand/learn. I was kind of weighing on 3100-3150 with 230's or 3200-3250 with 215's if accuracy is there. I love love Berger bullets as we've taken with my guns 16 big game animals in the last 2 years and none have hardly taken a step.

@rpierce what's the point of doing a 300 NMI at only 2950 and not just doing a 30 Nosler with proper freebore at 2950 with h1000 and that's still not hot rodding it? That just happened to be a super accurate node in that rifle? Why not run 245's at 2950 if that's the speed you like? Might as well take advantage of the case and still not hot rod it. Just thinking out loud and you're one of the best so not saying you're wrong. Just wanting to understand/learn. I was kind of weighing on 3100-3150 with 230's or 3200-3250 with 215's if accuracy is there. I love love Berger bullets as we've taken with my guns 16 big game animals in the last 2 years and none have hardly taken a step.
I tried lower nodes in mine and never could get the accuracy. I ended up going on the top end at @3087 FPS with the 230s and it shoots like I expected it to. Again, I think it is whatever your barrel likes.

One of the reasons I went to a lower node is so it was easy for my wife and them to shoot on the elk hunt. They don't shoot lightweight magnums often and I knew that it would probably be 500-600 yd shots. Making it kick like a 6.5 creedmoor made sense for that hunt. Also follow up shots if needed would be easy for them. I have a load that shoots at 3050 as well. The other benefit to the lower node is there is almost zero throat erosion with it. Like .003 every 100 rounds. The brass will never wear out either. Youll get well over 30 firings. Also with that load with Retumbo it shot .9" vertical at 580 yds with an ES of 1 fps for 4 shots right before we took it on the hunt. Its stupid accurate and easy to shoot. Pushing a 30-28 nosler or 30 nosler with a 230 at 2950 won't allow the brass to last forever.

Gentlemen,

I have been following this thread with great interest for I am in the process of a 300 Norma Mag Improved build myself. This is going to be new territory for me in that it will be my first time working with a semi-wildcat type cartridge for which there is no load data available and for which virgin brass must be fire formed to match the modified chamber dimensions. I would like to get all my ducks in a row before I actually have my rifle in hand and one of those ducks has to do with the initial load development utilizing brand new unfired, as well as, un-fire formed brass. Ryan Pierce has provided quite a bit of load data that is going to be very helpful. My question is whether that load data can be used in the initial break in and load set-up of the rifle. Or will I need to back off a bit to start with and build up after the brass has been fired a couple times? I would really appreciate some guidance in this area.

In case it matters, my set-up will be a BAT HR action with a 30" Bartlein heavy palma barrel.

The advice Ryan provides concerning fire forming brass is spot on. He has extensive knowledge and experience with this load so why not just follow his recipe. I own one of his rifles also, so my my comments are based on my experience. Good luck!

If your having Ryan build the rifle then yes, not all reamers and barrels are the same so if Ryan isn't doing it you can use it for a guideline but backoff and work up.

Anybodys loads, reamer design makes a difference in reducing pressure and every barrel is different you can't just take somebodys load and think you may be fine. Reduce any load and work up.
Better to be safe than sorry

L.Sherm....yep I understand that. Just needed a starting point.
What improved version are you going with, 30,35,40°? Ryan's chamber is actually one the more conservative ones. He kept a fair amount of taper ans went 33°, I'd feel comfortable saying any chamber with a 35-40° will handle Ryan's load data without any problems.

At this time I do not know what version of improved I will be getting. I am still waiting on my barrel from Bartlein and when I get that and send it off then I will discuss that with the gunsmith, Alex Wheeler, who will be chambering my barrel and joining it with my action. I have full confidence in Mr. Wheelers's recommendations.