300 Norma imp Help

I see no problem with shortening your stem as long as you can get the seating depth you want. As long as the handle clears the body of the die if you shorten the seating stem all should be good as long as you can load the shortest bullet you will use deep enough. Cut it off and either a small diameter mill to cut a new screwdriver slot or a hacksaw if you are really handy to cut a slot. Or you could just farmer it and use a plier :p
So if I cut the bottom of the adjustment shaft off to gain clearance how important is it to get it perfectly Square so when it contacts the seating stem is not pushing at an angle?
20200125_204634.jpg
20200125_204634.jpg
20200125_204634.jpg

I don,t mean to be a smart as% but I have always used a side handle press and never an issue like you have now.
Me too until I bought the Forster coax about a year ago. But I absolutely love this press and not having to change shell holders or torque dies has been pretty nice. This is the first issue I have run into with it so far and it is not the presses fault it is the dies.

WOW I thought you just had a regular die. How much clearance do you need? I would be a little jumpy about cutting that stem shorter in case you in the future want to use shorter bullets. Presses are not that expensive. A Hornady, redding, lyman, Big rcbs single stage press. Side handle and no issues. I realize with the bonanza they have the grip shell holder so you do not need a bunch of shell holders but that is the only thing I like about that press. I have a big 50 RCBS press they quit making long ago that will outlast me . I have the same style Hornady die for a 300 prc. They are long and tall.

I guess forester bought that design. Bonanza brought it out in the early 70.s
I have a rock chucker supreme at my brother-in-law's house I may have to go get it. I only plan on shooting the 215 Berger hybrid in this rifle though so it shouldn't be an issue if I cut it off. I just don't have any tools that would make it perfectly Square when I cut it if I go that route. I could probably just have the gunsmith make me a shorter one and keep the longer one as well just in case.

I am sure not telling you what to do but I would just go get that rock chucker supreme. Way easier than having your smith make another stem. Get the right shellholder and you are in business.

I am sure not telling you what to do but I would just go get that rock chucker supreme. Way easier than having your smith make another stem. Get the right shellholder and you are in business.
Yeah I might have to since I already have all the shell holders. Thanks for all of your advice I appreciate it.

I use a rcbs priming tool and The big press that take the same shellholders so I need them anyway but I use mostly 3. An 06 size. a magnum size and a rigby size

That 300 norma is quite a round but I am happy you improved it. Originally the 338 was developed for general dynamics for a machine and gatling gun. Why the taper and 20 degree shoulder. Begs for less taper and a 30 degree shoulder:)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.