300 Norma imp Help

Deviant

Got my custom 300 Norma imp. last Saturday but I cant get shells loaded. I have a Forster Coax and the Hornady match seating die is way too tall to work with my press. Is their any decent brand of micrometer seating die that will work with the Coax?

The problem you will run into is the dies need to be custom made to fit the taper of the improved case. In a situation like this, I have the smith cut a LE Wilson micrometer seating die and use my Arbor press.

The problem you will run into is the dies need to be custom made to fit the taper of the improved case. In a situation like this, I have the smith cut a LE Wilson micrometer seating die and use my Arbor press.
So a standard 300 norma mag Redding competition seating die won't work?

Actually a little surprised that whoever put the gun together did not advise you about this.
Not his fault he sent me the dies but I wasn't aware that Hornady micrometer seating dies wouldn't work in a Coax press. My Whidden and redding dies work fine.

I use the Hornady bushing dies with a Redding T-7 turret press. No issues at all. Maybe invest in a normal press?
I had 2 other presses but gave them to my brother in law because I like this one so much and never used the other two. I was just hoping I could buy a redding 300 norma mag seating die and make that work.

Wondering if I could shorten the adjustment stem in the Hornady die to allow enough clearance for the handle on the coax press.

I see now. I thought you had a diameter problem. So when you stroke the handle up it is hitting your seating stem?
Thats correct. Nothing wrong with the Hornady custom dies that he sent me with the rifle its my press that's the issue. The Hornady seating die is just too tall. I load 28 Nosler with a Redding competition seater with no issues but I didn't realize that the Hornady dies were so much taller as I don't normally use them.

I see no problem with shortening your stem as long as you can get the seating depth you want. As long as the handle clears the body of the die if you shorten the seating stem all should be good as long as you can load the shortest bullet you will use deep enough. Cut it off and either a small diameter mill to cut a new screwdriver slot or a hacksaw if you are really handy to cut a slot. Or you could just farmer it and use a plier :p

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts