300 Norma 215 Berger H1000

Rhovee

Just wanted to share my results incase people are looking for load data. 25" barrel. Only tried H1000 and 215's with CCI250's in this rifle. Final step was to check neck tension. This was at 100 yards. I initially did load work up at 100. Then shot groups at 600. (4) 3 shot groups to see what average was. 1/2 moa or less would do. 2.2"-3"-2.1"-2.75". Good enough for me. One thing I learned about this barrel was it shoot best dirty. 15-20 rounds after a cleaning up to 100 when all the brass is fired. I am going to stick with 83.7. Because on a trip to the range, 84 was on the edge and opened up and shot faster. 83.7 has repeated well and gives me some room. I'll make sure speeds are same before hunting season.

Attachments

• IMG_4003.jpeg
    IMG_4003.jpeg
    649.8 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_3885.jpeg
    IMG_3885.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 353
Rhovee,

Did you try running it faster at all? I've had a couple of the 300 Norma Imp rifles and the first one I had I shot 215 Berger's in. I tried both H1000 and N570 and both powders got me up into the 3150 fps range. I stuck with the N570 on that rifle as it edged out the H1000 in accuracy. In my current 300 Norma Imp I'm running H1000 with 230 Hybrids. It seems to like pushing them right around 3050 fps. Both of these rifles had 26" barrels. Maybe you're running one much shorter or just a slower node.

Mine is a standard 300 Norma. Not improved. I don't think I can get the next node up unless I switched powders. I have about 103 grains volume and your about 110. I don't want to shoot N570 in this one. Honestly it's doing everything I want. Shoots H1000 and 215's very accurately at 3020 fps is perfect.

Great looking groups and plenty fast, I am up to 87.0 gr of H1000 in mine @3100 fps, ADG brass and Fed 215M primers, found a node around 84 gr and the other around 87 gr no pressure with a COAL 3.678 just 0.015 off the lands.

Awesome you can run the higher node. I have been tempted to try. But I can't walk away from what I have been seeing. Time to load 100 rounds and go have some fun! It feels great to have confidence in your load and know when you miss a target it's not because of the rifle!

Awesome you can run the higher node. I have been tempted to try. But I can't walk away from what I have been seeing. Time to load 100 rounds and go have some fun! It feels great to have confidence in your load and know when you miss a target it's not because of the rifle!
So true, 100 FPS more won't change anything for any critter! I've always prioritize accuracy over extra velocity, can't kill what you don't hit!
Have fun, great round!
H

I have a 300NMI that slows down nearly 50fps on a clean bare metal barrel. It takes 20-25 rounds for velocities to walk back up and stabilize for a given load of N568 and 230 OTM. It stabilizes at the same 3010fps with single digit es on a 26" Proof barrel. I am holding 0.5MOA at 600yds.

I thought I was losing my mind during load development when my developed load opened up dramatically after cleaning. I did borescope it at 5, 10 and 20 rounds last time around and there is definitely a difference in appearance as the barrel fouls.

Has anyone else seen a 300NM or NMI take 20 rounds for velocities to stabilize after cleaning? Normally I fire a couple fouling shots and then a 5 shot group to confirm things after cleaning a barrel.

Just wanted to share my results incase people are looking for load data. 25" barrel. Only tried H1000 and 215's with CCI250's in this rifle. Final step was to check neck tension. This was at 100 yards. I initially did load work up at 100. Then shot groups at 600. (4) 3 shot groups to see what average was. 1/2 moa or less would do. 2.2"-3"-2.1"-2.75". Good enough for me. One thing I learned about this barrel was it shoot best dirty. 15-20 rounds after a cleaning up to 100 when all the brass is fired. I am going to stick with 83.7. Because on a trip to the range, 84 was on the edge and opened up and shot faster. 83.7 has repeated well and gives me some room. I'll make sure speeds are same before hunting season.
Just for grins try adding 3% to your current powder charge and see where you are at. You will see another powder node around that 86.2 +/- area based on what I'm seeing. And should get you to the next velocity node.

I'll say also I think if you gonna hold to that load then you should back it down to the 83.5. Reason is your next charge weight jump over the 83.7 weight your group starts to scatter some on the one ladder shown but there again it looks like you played with the neck tension in the other one and it played out well for you.

Other then the one outing. 84 has worked great. But that one time has me concerned. I have always found that the upper end before it "blows out" the top always shoots the best. But last few trips 84 has shot great to. So I'll keep it at 83.7 which will keep me away from random days of being erratic. I may try higher node. But 3020 fps and repeatable small groups I am more than happy. I have fought to many barrels trying to shoot the upper/almost pressure loads and it's annoying. With my 7 Saum I shoot 2900 fps and is very repeatable. There is another one up around 2960. But get clickers. Isn't as wide. Have to stay on top of it more.

Depending on the lot of H1000, mid 3000's with a 215 Berger is pretty common across the board for a standard 300NM. 3030 to 3080 fps out of a 26 inch barrel. You have a 25 inch barrel so you're right where you need to be. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don;t already know though. Nice shooting and info. I may have to revisit a lighter neck tension after seeing your loads. Currently runng about an .004/5 NT. Your .002 NT groups are SWEET!

Thanks! I did like that even .004 shot good as well. It's just an awesome feeling when a combo works so well that you intended to use.

Dallas Lane did this one. But It's my only build not done by Wheeler. He is putting a 7 PRC together for me now that I am going to sell. It's parts I have won from matches.