.300 jarret

jacack

I am thinking of having a .300 jarret barrel put on an old Rem 700LA trued and a new stock,I am planing on using it for long range mule deer out in SD and maybe a Elk hunt if I get a tag.I have never shot this round and dont know much about it but the gunsmith thinks it just what I need, if anyone has any pro's or con's with this round feel free to let me know.

thanks Jared

Jared

The 300 jarrett is a proprietary cartridge from Kenny Jarrett at Jarret Rifles, www.jarrettrifles.com. It is a 8mm Rem Mag necked down with 35 degree shoulder and pushes a 180 gr bullet at 3150-3200fps. He stocks dies for this at his shop if you decide to go with it. He started the SC "beanfield rifle" craze about 10-15 yrs ago and has aptly capitalized off it. He builds very good guns at Rolls Royce prices compared to other gunsmiths. Just my opinion.

However many other improved and standard 30 caliber cartridges do the same thing with better brass. Such as 300 Ack, 300 RUM etc. Unless your gunsmith just happens to have a absolutely great deal on a new/like new 300 jarrett barrel already chambered, I think there might be better ways to go. For example a standard 300 weatherby with short throat for example cut with reamer for minimum saami chamber and can still shoot factory ammo if you want. Might be 50-100 fps advantage to 30 jarrett in worst case and even in best case. Will that really matter to you?

Good luck

BH

Jared

Kenny Jarret says the 300 jarrett with 180 will do 3150-3250 and that is off his own website. Most reloading manuals will list 300 weatherby with 180 from 3050 to 3150 and we know that is probably on the low end.

Do your own research on Kenny Jarretts site and look up the weatherby or other cartidges. However, if it is strictly hunting gun, would be nice to be able to walk into a store and buy cartridges.

If you want fast, go to Tooley custom rifles and look at his 30 HV, puts a 180 gr bullet at 3500 fps out of 26" barrel.

Speedy builds some good hunting and LR guns.

Jared,

I shoot a 300 Jarrett in both 165gr BT and 180gr Partitions. BountyHunter is correct with his velocities with the 180gr. I get about 3450fps give or take witht the 165gr. Using Kenny's recipes I get groups in the low 0.3 when everything is right.

Also, these velocities are achieved in 25" barrel and not 26" for Weatherbys.

Not to sway you form your decision on smiths but you may want to check out John Lewis at cprifles.com. John was the head smith at Jarrett Rifles before he struck out on his own. I guess he was there for 10-12 years?

He can chamber for practically all of Kenny's wildcats 284/300/338 Jarretts.

John also posts over at the AR forum too.

Good Luck

True Eyes

I thought the .30 jarret would do about 200 to 250 fps better than a 300 weatherby? Speedy Gonzales is doing the work on it for me at a good price as for brass I really dont plan on shooting this gun except to hunt with so i dont think that plays too much.thanks for your info

Jared

verrocchio100,

I was wondering if you would share any recipes for the 300 Jarrett. I have one, and I get higher velocities because of a 28" barrel. I think it is an awesome round despite lack of good brass. For those who do not know, you can shoot stock 300 Weatherby round in a pinch. In fact 340 Weatherby necked down and fireformed is the best brass.

SGT what type game have you used it on if any and how was the preformance?

Jared

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I haven't taken anything with it. I have a rackful of guns and I have a 6-284 that I am in love with that I seem to pick up more often than not when I hunt. But my Jarret makes little tiny holes (Under 1/2" at 100 yds) in paper using Barnes X's which I believe would be totally awesome on anything I choose to shoot with them. I really should take it out because it seems like having a gun that will shoot Barnes X's is some sort of a gift! Sorry I couldnt be of more help!
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.