300 HULK Dimensions and Capacity

elkaholic

Does anyone know what the case capactity and length of the 300 Hulk is? Also, is there another shortened Rigby out there? As many of you are aware, I have been playing around with some High B.C. 260 Grain .308 bullets. In order to push that bullet, a lot of capacity is required and the longer cases with the .550 head diameters would would end up with too much oal for practical bolt rifles. The full length Lapua would have plenty but would also be a barrel burner and would still be too long. If the shortened version had enough capacity and you could seat a 260 grainer to the base of the neck, and which would still work in a 700 magazine, it might be something worth doing. If I could get 2800 out of an 8-9 twist barrel, I might consider building one. Can you help me out?....Thanks/Rich

I was reading some stuff that Sarver had wrote and it sounds like it would basically be a 300 Norma mag with some small improvements. When I saw your big 30 cal bullets the 300 Norma was first in my mind as a perfect launch vehicle!

Indeed Tom Sarver is the man to talk to about the HULK...

I vote for the 338lapua simply necked down... good brass available, high pressure case, heaps of capacity, there are longer magazine systems out there to accomodate your COAL easily... barrels are cheap, you know you wanna :)

Indeed Tom Sarver is the man to talk to about the HULK...

I vote for the 338lapua simply necked down... good brass available, high pressure case, heaps of capacity, there are longer magazine systems out there to accomodate your COAL easily... barrels are cheap, you know you wanna :)

You're right on the WANNA!:D

I recently read a little on something that Mr Sloan had on the 300 Norma. 240 MK 3.436 COAL 81.5-81.7 gr H1000 at 2835-2875 fps.

I recently read a little on something that Mr Sloan had on the 300 Norma. 240 MK 3.436 COAL 81.5-81.7 gr H1000 at 2835-2875 fps.

Bign' .... I don't know if the Norma would give me quite the velocity I'm looking for? I know the 300 Hulk load that Sarver used in the 1000 yd. comp was 85 grains of H1000 for around 3000'. But I dont know what the case capacity is? I think it is probably right around 100 grains of H20......Rich

300 JAZZ will do the same thing as the 300 HULK. The Jazz is a 30 degree shoulder, the Hulk is 35 degrees.
The Norma brass is evry bit as good as the Lapua in this caliber.

Rich,

I realize this is an old thread but I am curious if the research on the Hulk was part of what led you to the work you are now doing on the 30 375 SI. Or was it just for the 260 grainers? My guess is you didn't find the perfect platform for going so heavy so you decided to find the perfect platform for the 208-230 class bullets. Just curious is all.

Scot E.

Rich,

I realize this is an old thread but I am curious if the research on the Hulk was part of what led you to the work you are now doing on the 30 375 SI. Or was it just for the 260 grainers? My guess is you didn't find the perfect platform for going so heavy so you decided to find the perfect platform for the 208-230 class bullets. Just curious is all.

Scot E.

I was considering a lot of things at the time and just decided to go with something a little more practical. The massive .308 bullets are difficult to build for one thing. I also liked the idea of not having to buy $2.00 brass and the Ruger case has turned out to be a good one........Rich

I have a 300 HULK and a 7 mm HULK. The case holds 100 grains of H1000. With a big bullet like the 260 I would guess you could load close to 80 grains. Tom has a new case that he has developed called the Thunder Hulk. I'm sure you could get 3100 fps out of the 260 grain bullet. We were shooting some 210 burgers close to 4000 fps and some 230s at 3400 ish. I'm just guessing on velocity because we were just shooting some test loads. From a 100 yard zero we were 5.5 moa to 600. Call Tom I'm sure he will have a better idea. Thunder Valley Precision » Specialized long range shooting facility.

I was considering a lot of things at the time and just decided to go with something a little more practical. The massive .308 bullets are difficult to build for one thing. I also liked the idea of not having to buy $2.00 brass and the Ruger case has turned out to be a good one........Rich
Makes sense, and with the results many are getting with the 210, 215, and 230 grain 30 cal bullets I am just not sure much more is needed for all but the most extreme ELR shooters.

Scot E.

Makes sense, and with the results many are getting with the 210, 215, and 230 grain 30 cal bullets I am just not sure much more is needed for all but the most extreme ELR shooters.

Scot E.

Here is what I see as one of the main problems with say a 260 grain bullet. One of the biggest problems with long range is expansion which takes velocity. The heavier the bullet, the less velocity, so there is a point of diminishing return.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts