300 Hulk- 56 firings same brass

BountyHunter

We have had some interesting discussions ref reloading and accuracy. I have always said use the best brass possible even if it costs more initially, as it will cost less in the long run.

there is a very recent post on BR central, under 1000 yards BR on the 300 Hulk. Sorry, cannot post the direct link now.

this is a slightly shortened 338 lapua case that is necked to 30 caliber and has 85 grains of powder (mild load) and pushes 240 SMKS at 2950. it is shooting sub 5" groups routinely and winning more than its share of matches. Now Tom Sarver is a meticulous reloader and a very good shot, but the gun and cartridge has capabilities for sure.

However, what is really interesting is that the original cases have been fired 56 times now. Yes that is right, 56 times.

Now is quality brass cost effective and is cheaper brass really cheaper when you are after longevity and extreme accuracy?

BH

[ QUOTE ]
We have had some interesting discussions ref reloading and accuracy. I have always said use the best brass possible even if it costs more initially, as it will cost less in the long run.

there is a very recent post on BR central, under 1000 yards BR on the 300 Hulk. Sorry, cannot post the direct link now.

this is a slightly shortened 338 lapua case that is necked to 30 caliber and has 85 grains of powder (mild load) and pushes 240 SMKS at 2950. it is shooting sub 5" groups routinely and winning more than its share of matches. Now Tom Sarver is a meticulous reloader and a very good shot, but the gun and cartridge has capabilities for sure.

However, what is really interesting is that the original cases have been fired 56 times now. Yes that is right, 56 times.

Now is quality brass cost effective and is cheaper brass really cheaper when you are after longevity and extreme accuracy?

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if the dies match the chamber correctly and the chamber matches the brass correctly. That is why you can take 30 pieces of 220 Russian and absolutely wear out a 6ppc barrel.

James

Just for curiousity sake, how many cases are there total in that original batch of brass that has 56 firings on them?

I agree the Lapua 338 case is a thing of beauty, it is not by coincedence that several of my wildcats are based on that case.

My 300 AX is similiar to this wildcat, only a full length version designed for performance more then bench work. SO far have gotten her up to 3220 fps with WC872 but ran out of case capacity before pressuring out. US869 may be a better choice.

Another question, what powder is your friend using in his wildcat with the 240 gr SMK?

Retumbo may be a good choice as well. That is what I Was going to test next.

Kirby Allen(50)

This 300 hulk looks similar to the 300 lapua. This cartridge is listed in lapua´s reloading info but havent seen anyone using it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.