300 hart!

300 HART

ok i think im about to take over my dad's 300 win mag HART.
its a long rage rifle so ima put it to use. i know he will never really end up shootin it.i know hes gonna give it to me soon anyway.
it has a leupold 30mm tube 10x scope.
and i have a nkon 30mm tube 10x power scope.
thinkin about gettin turrets for one of the 2 and put on there.
but how do i get a drop chart of whatever i need for the turrets?
so i know how many clicks i need for what range.
kinda new to the long range thing. out past 300 yards.
im not gonna be shoot no further then 550 yards.
the nikon has the bdc reticale in it but not sure if i waanted to use that or not.
any info will help please thanks!
need help gettin started!!!

ok i think im about to take over my dad's 300 win mag HART.
its a long rage rifle so ima put it to use. i know he will never really end up shootin it.i know hes gonna give it to me soon anyway.
it has a leupold 30mm tube 10x scope.
and i have a nkon 30mm tube 10x power scope.
thinkin about gettin turrets for one of the 2 and put on there.
but how do i get a drop chart of whatever i need for the turrets?
so i know how many clicks i need for what range.
kinda new to the long range thing. out past 300 yards.
im not gonna be shoot no further then 550 yards.
the nikon has the bdc reticale in it but not sure if i waanted to use that or not.
any info will help please thanks!
need help gettin started!!!

Sounds like a new adventure about to begin. First thing to help develop a drop chart is getting some data. You need to know what bullet you plan to use. Knowing the ballistic coefficient is necessary to help develop your drop chart. Next is to chronograph your loads and see what the avg velocity of your rounds are. Then you need to go out and shoot to verify your work. There are different programs out there that allow you to put this info in and get a close idea. JBM calculations on the internet is a good one. I have the Ballistics FTE program offered to Ipod users.

Or you can forgo the above and simply go out and start shooting targets at range and see how many clicks it takes to get you to center. That will be good exercise.

Tank

Last edited:
" I'm not gonna shoot no farther than 550 yards"

Famous last words. Once you start shooting long, you WILL want to shoot further and further. It's pretty much guaranteed. :)
Get turrets or a scope that you can dial out to 1000 yards to begin with and save yourself some money in the long run.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.