300 Ham'r Velocity Not Up To Expectations

Tony243

I have an AR15 chambered in the Wilson Combat 300 Ham'r with a 16.25" barrel. Load data on the Wilson website shows 2450-2500 fps with either AA1680 or CFE BLK and the Speer 130gr Hot Cor bullet. Problem is I'm only getting 2260 (Labradar) with a max charge of CFE BLK. I know some of the loss is due to Wilson's 18" test barrel vs my 16.25" barrel, but I was really hoping to be above 2400 fps. My only deviation from the Wilson test, aside from barrel length, is Winchester standard primers. Wilson used CCI magnums in their test.
I do plan on testing with magnum primers as soon as I buy some, but any other ideas why my velocity is on the low side? I get 2180 fps with my 300 Blackout in a 16" barrel with H110 and Hot Cors, so the extra 80 fps from the Ham'r is a disappointment.

I have an AR15 chambered in the Wilson Combat 300 Ham'r with a 16.25" barrel. Load data on the Wilson website shows 2450-2500 fps with either AA1680 or CFE BLK and the Speer 130gr Hot Cor bullet. Problem is I'm only getting 2260 (Labradar) with a max charge of CFE BLK. I know some of the loss is due to Wilson's 18" test barrel vs my 16.25" barrel, but I was really hoping to be above 2400 fps. My only deviation from the Wilson test, aside from barrel length, is Winchester standard primers. Wilson used CCI magnums in their test.
I do plan on testing with magnum primers as soon as I buy some, but any other ideas why my velocity is on the low side? I get 2180 fps with my 300 Blackout in a 16" barrel with H110 and Hot Cors, so the extra 80 fps from the Ham'r is a disappointment.

Yea that is a massive gap in FPS. We certify our stuff with LabRadar and a MagnetoSpeed for giggles. I could see 40-50 FPS velocity loss, not 200 FPS. We use a ton of HotCors for testing, haven't shot game with it. Super cheap, great shooting.

FWIW, if your looking a little more, A lot have talked about 8.6 Creed which we have been waging battle against the internet for about a year now with our 338 FED. I know Wilson makes some of the best guns in the biz and also make 338 FED. Don't think they thought about using bullets of wide ranges, 10 different barrel lengths and going subsonic.

Check ours out it gives you that upgrade from 300 BLK. Out of 12.5" barrels and 160s we are in the 2400 range. If you don't wanna go SBR, we make it in legal lengths. Best part, 300gr subsonic ammo. All common bullets. Can buy from us and will give you the load data.

https://vasilentarsenal.com/338-federal

Normally vel equals pressure +/- for a given powder case combo. As its a wilson the barrels specs are also close in line. Keeping an eye on the cases looking for ejector swipe try bumping up the powder charge in small steps. Say within 50fps of the min range for the 18" info you have. If you see swipes at all stop. Then I would hive Wilson a call. Maybe you got a tight slow barrel. But first I would try walking the load up and see if it is ok.

Also first test the primers but I have not seen them cost 100-150 fps before.

Be careful.

I did exactly what you mentioned this past weekend, Tim. I loaded five rounds each, starting at 27.6gr of CFEBLK (max recommended by Wilson), and worked up to 28.2gr in 0.1gr increments. I also loaded with CCI 450 primers. Velocity climbed nicely and groups remained sub MOA except at 28.0 grains. SD was single digits for all loads, and velocity peaked at 2442fps avg at 28.2gr. Absolutely no signs of flat primers or ejector marks! So I guess Wilson's max load data is conservative, as is usually the case. Barrel probably loosened up some too, and I'm assuming the magnum primers helped as well. I'm happy now!
P.S. Group size at 28.2gr was 0.757" :)

I have no idea how Senal's post was supposed to help except advertising :rolleyes:

The numbers on the website probably came from Bill's testing. 28.2 is his pet load for the 130 HotCors. I've got a 16" shooting 2450 and a 11.3" shooting 2275. I'm impressed with accuracy and love the guns. I just need to get into some hogs, they haven't been cooperating much lately. Which normally means an exciting weekend is coming. Now that deer season is over the itch needs scratched.

Looks like you've got it figured out. You find a powder that doesn't have the consistency of sugar or sand you let me know...I hate loading CFEBLK.

I have no idea how Senal's post was supposed to help except advertising :rolleyes:

The numbers on the website probably came from Bill's testing. 28.2 is his pet load for the 130 HotCors. I've got a 16" shooting 2450 and a 11.3" shooting 2275. I'm impressed with accuracy and love the guns. I just need to get into some hogs, they haven't been cooperating much lately. Which normally means an exciting weekend is coming. Now that deer season is over the itch needs scratched.

Looks like you've got it figured out. You find a powder that doesn't have the consistency of sugar or sand you let me know...I hate loading CFEBLK.
Good to know I nailed it with Bill's pet load! I tried 28.3gr after last weekend's success and bulged a case from over-compressing the powder, so 28.2 it is!
Also gonna experiment with A1680 and Viht N120. I'll let you know how it goes with the N120 since you don't like measuring the CFEBLK sand lol!

Glad it worked out. Thats always been a general rule I follow. Usually it works out. Now you can start other loads and starting really enjoying it.

If your not planning fast high vol shooting you set headspace tight 0.001. It will help increase case life if you neck anneal.

Hey Judd, check this out. 16.25" barrel, 130 Hot Cors. 26.0 grains N120.

Attachments

• 20200321_174203.jpg
    20200321_174203.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,769
I'm waiting on my barrel to arrive, 18" 1-13, probably should have order the 1-15 since I don't plan on shooting heavier than 135 FTX. I have a case of Wilson 130 Hot-Core and a few hundred cases to load with CFE BLK and the 135s. I loaded some TTSX 110 at 29gr. from Wilson's load data sheet and bulged the case from compression and there was no way I could achieve the 2.25 OAL. I looked at some other load data and found a recommendation of 27.4grs for the Barnes 110 which loaded ok. I see a lot of bashing of this cartridge which I really don't understand, it does exactly what it's intended for which is hunting hogs and deer at fairly close ranges. If one is a fan of the Grendel, great! or the 6.8 SPC, good for you! enjoy your chosen cartridge and please respect that others prefer a 30 caliber round in an AR platform that isn't as heavy as a 308 and outperforms a 300BLK. By the way, I also own 6.5 Grendel, 300BLK and 308. I'm selling my Grendel barrel, brass and dies since I've had several deer I've shot and the bullet did not perform well and I've lost confidence in the cartridge. I'm not bashing the round but it's been my experience that if you're not confident that a given cartridge consistently performs, time to move on.

Primers can make a big difference even with the 5.7x28. Lyman with cci400 w/35gr v-max, #7 @ 1,791fps. Western data using cci500 (same powder and bullet) 2,007 (5" vs 4.75").

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the higher velocity is in the 110gr bullets where the heavier bullets can loose velocity with higher pressure etc. I would say try the magnum primer first before going to lighter bullet. Also some of those velocity charts are from bolt gun test so be sure you are looking at what type of gun is used in test etc. Just food for thought! Good luck!

I found that the Ham'r doesnt care about magnum primers if loaded properly.
Definition of "properly": Pack that tiny case full!
Never seen signs of overpressure with cases packed full of CFEBlk or N120. Did see overpressure with H110, and it was slower.
Bill Wilson wasn't BSing when he said CFEBlk is the perfect powder for this cartridge!

I found that the Ham'r doesnt care about magnum primers if loaded properly.
Definition of "properly": Pack that tiny case full!
Never seen signs of overpressure with cases packed full of CFEBlk or N120. Did see overpressure with H110, and it was slower.
Bill Wilson wasn't BSing when he said CFEBlk is the perfect powder for this cartridge!
Does the n120 have the sugar sand consistency? That's the only thing I hate about CFEBLK.