300 H&H loading ideas

AZTrapper

I have shot a Remington 721 300H&H with a 28 inch douglas 1" barrel and a Leapold T-10 scope. This rifle was built for me by Frank Wells here in Tucson. He just checked everything and said the barrel was like "new" and was suprized knowing how much I have shot it since 1973, (about 1000-2000 rounds a year) heck even his son has hunted with it. It still shoots a 1/2-1 group at 200 yards. I am wanting to maybe change bullets and go to Berger 168 vld's. Does anyone have a pet load or loads or ideas to start or work up to. I have used two loads for way too many years and want to try something new.

AzTrapper

AZ; my pet load for deer is 64 gr of H-4350, Rem 9 1/2M primer and 190 gr Sierra mkhp. It's a mild load, but 4350 is touchy, so start a little lower anyway. Shoots 1/2 moa in an old (FN action) Sako.

The mkhp is devastating on lung shot deer. They do not go anywhere. I've read on this site that the Bergers may be even better, but I don't know.

Have fun, Tom

AZ

We have a saying in the UK "if it aint broke don't fix it" ;-)

BUT...... I know how you feel just don't loose your old recipes you may need to go back to them.

4350 and 4831 plus new bullets

I have been using both 4350 and 4831 for years and I am hoping to find a load for the 168 grain bullet that is not as touchy to the weather and I can shoot year round round so to speak. Both of those powers are temperature touchy and am hoping to find something thats not.

I agreed about not changing a good thing but am hoping to find something a little better. I have the old loads saved and won't forget them thats for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.