• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

300 grain SMK (338 cal)

Looking for some Sierra MatchKings for my 338 Norma. I have a nice load for it with those bullets and would like to get my hands on some more of them. I also have a few boxes of (matching lot) Lapua Scenars in 300 grain, 338 cal if anyone is looking to trade or buy them.

Looking for some Sierra MatchKings for my 338 Norma. I have a nice load for it with those bullets and would like to get my hands on some more of them. I also have a few boxes of (matching lot) Lapua Scenars in 300 grain, 338 cal if anyone is looking to trade or buy them.
Just curious on how well they shoot for you and what shooting you are doing. Hunting and/or target, you like them in the Norma.
We mainly shoot 300 OTM in 338 lm and have picked up a few hundred SMKs to try. If we like the Berger OTMs better or should say the SMKs are not shooting as well, will contact you to see if you still need some.
We shoot a lot of Sierra bullets in SGK, STGK, and SMK in 224, 243, 264, 277, 284, 323 so would think the SMK 300 gr would work well in a 338 LMAI
Thanks
Len and Jill

Last edited:
Just curious on how well they shoot for you and what shooting you are doing. Hunting and/or target, you like them in the Norma.
We mainly shoot 300 OTM in 338 lm and have picked up a few hundred SMKs to try. If we like the Berger OTMs better or should say the SMKs are not shooting as well, will contact you to see if you still need some.
We shoot a lot of Sierra bullets in SGK, STGK, and SMK in 224, 243, 264, 277, 284, 323 so would think the SMK 300 gr would work well in a 338 LMAI
Thanks
Len and Jill
Len and Jill, I shoot the 300 grain SMK's in my RBros built 338AI. They shot fantastic during fire forming, in fact I hunted with them during my FF, and now that I have 50 or so down the tube, and running at the AI's full potential, I'm not changing from them to the Berger's as I cannot see much reason to.

Len and Jill-
I really like them in my Norma. From what I've read, the Norma was designed around the 300 SMK with magazine feeding in mind. I'm getting about 2670fps with my rifle, using N570. It's dirty burning powder, but it is excellent with SD and ES numbers.
My rifle started as a Christensen Mesa Long Range in 338 LM. It sucked. The only thing consistent about it was it's ability to shoot like ****. So I rebarreled it and put a Triggertech Premier trigger in it. Now it's using a 28" Brux 9 twist barrel, with a Terminator brake. I use Peterson brass and 215M primers. This set up has been averaging in the .3's pretty steady. Seldom is a 5 shot group over .5 MOA. It's one of the most accurate rifles I've shot. Love it. I use it mostly for target/hobby shooting, but I did take a deer with it last year. Overkill, I know, but it is what it is. One shot, it went about 7 yards.
This pic is a 3 shot group I shot a few weeks ago at 950 yards. I didn't have a ruler with me at the time, I was using my hand as a reference when I sent the pic to a buddy of mine. I later measured it, it was 2.74" spread. No wind, obviously… I will say, my groups get bigger with wind.
To be honest, I don't think I've tried the Berger's much in this rifle. I would have to think they would group well to, they're excellent bullets. I did try the Hammer Hunters in 285 grain, and they shot great out to 800 yards, then quickly destabilized, and accuracy was gone, fast. It was like they hit a wall. I've since tried the 260 grainers and so far they're shooting excellent too, ES and SD's are great, still using the N570, just a little more of it, but they're averaging 2858 fps. I still have to test them at the longer ranges though.

Attachments

• EEA18905-54CA-4941-A77E-709A161B51D2.jpeg
    EEA18905-54CA-4941-A77E-709A161B51D2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Len and Jill, I shoot the 300 grain SMK's in my RBros built 338AI. They shot fantastic during fire forming, in fact I hunted with them during my FF, and now that I have 50 or so down the tube, and running at the AI's full potential, I'm not changing from them to the Berger's as I cannot see much reason to.
Dave300
Thanks for your reply. We have a another barrel ready to chamber 338 LMAI and was also going to use some SMKs for fire forming and breakin. We have several K Berger OTMs and they shoot great out of other barrels.
Appreciate the info!
Len and Jill

Len and Jill-
I really like them in my Norma. From what I've read, the Norma was designed around the 300 SMK with magazine feeding in mind. I'm getting about 2670fps with my rifle, using N570. It's dirty burning powder, but it is excellent with SD and ES numbers.
My rifle started as a Christensen Mesa Long Range in 338 LM. It sucked. The only thing consistent about it was it's ability to shoot like ****. So I rebarreled it and put a Triggertech Premier trigger in it. Now it's using a 28" Brux 9 twist barrel, with a Terminator brake. I use Peterson brass and 215M primers. This set up has been averaging in the .3's pretty steady. Seldom is a 5 shot group over .5 MOA. It's one of the most accurate rifles I've shot. Love it. I use it mostly for target/hobby shooting, but I did take a deer with it last year. Overkill, I know, but it is what it is. One shot, it went about 7 yards.
This pic is a 3 shot group I shot a few weeks ago at 950 yards. I didn't have a ruler with me at the time, I was using my hand as a reference when I sent the pic to a buddy of mine. I later measured it, it was 2.74" spread. No wind, obviously… I will say, my groups get bigger with wind.
To be honest, I don't think I've tried the Berger's much in this rifle. I would have to think they would group well to, they're excellent bullets. I did try the Hammer Hunters in 285 grain, and they shot great out to 800 yards, then quickly destabilized, and accuracy was gone, fast. It was like they hit a wall. I've since tried the 260 grainers and so far they're shooting excellent too, ES and SD's are great, still using the N570, just a little more of it, but they're averaging 2858 fps. I still have to test them at the longer ranges though.
Dialing Long Distance
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you got yourself a real shooter with the Norma and your build. These 338s really reach out especially with a 300 gr8 and the right powder. Hope that you pick up some SMKs soon.
Len and