300 Dakota vs 300 WSM

Wild Monkey

Checking Hornady Load data for the Dakota it appears the WSM would equal it given the same OAL limitations. Does anyone have the data? Relevant to the comparison is the small differences between the Nosler, Rum & Dakota 300's specifically 190-210 Grain Load data.

The WSM is also supposed to equal the 300WM…I have never seen this in handloads.
The 300 Dakota is similar in size to a Nosler, it's been around a long time, it is larger than a WSM, so it too will be faster than a WSM.
The Dakota is less handicapped in a standard length action in comparison to a WSM in a WSM action.
Problem with any of the Dakota cartridges is an easy supply of brass, it can be really difficult to get.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply mag. Allowing 80 grains capacity for the WSM and 85 for the Dakota. Can the superior efficiency of the WSM case match the Dakota and overcome the 5 grain deficit? Seeking factual data. (30 Nosler=90 grains) I've never heard of a "WSM" action before. Let's go with "Standard Length" as this scenario does not limit the WSM to a short action shooting 200'ish grain pills.

My buddy used one in Africa in an expensive Dakota rifle. I think brass was made by Norma but I'm not sure. Loaded a 200 Nosler Part. to 3000 fps in his 26" barrel. It will have a lot of recoil for target if loaded to potential. In my opinion, a .300WSM would be a better choice for your target rifle.

The Dak will have more gas, probably 100 fps if you load them both the same. If you pimp the pressures in one or the other then things will change

I built a 300 Dakota back in the 90's (I love that rifle) I have shot bullets weighing as little as 220 gr up to 220 gr. I only load 150 partitions and 155 a-max now. I don't shoot it much anymore, it has to be on its last leg. It still shoots awesome though.
When I built it brakes were not politically correct. So I put 2 mercury recoil reducers in the stock.
Which helped a ton, but I never went back and tried the 220's after I put them in.
It was the first rifle that I ever shot over 400 yards with. I shot at a prairie dog at 920 yards and hit the mound.

Thanks for the reply mag. Allowing 80 grains capacity for the WSM and 85 for the Dakota. Can the superior efficiency of the WSM case match the Dakota and overcome the 5 grain deficit? Seeking factual data. (30 Nosler=90 grains) I've never heard of a "WSM" action before. Let's go with "Standard Length" as this scenario does not limit the WSM to a short action shooting 200'ish grain pills.
In simple terms, no the WSM will not catch the Dakota or any other larger case regardless of action size.
A WSM action is the action built by Winchester to house there cartridge, it is smaller than a normal short action.
Even if you use a standard action, 3.4" mag length, the cartridge is still handicapped due to it's smaller capacity. The WSM just runs out of steam with bullets heavier than 200g.
There is an optimum weight for all cartridges where the bullet ends up taking up too much space to be propelled fast enough and you get slower and slower results as weight goes up.
The WSM is improved in this aspect on a standard action, as this is what I did back in '01/02 when I built 3 identical Win Model 70's in 25WSM (Pronghorn). But it can't beat the larger capacity rounds still.
Problem at the time was that no powder was slow enough except RE25, all other powder at the time showed erratic pressure and velocity.
Anyway, bigger cubes always wins.

Cheers.

I run my 300 wsm in a long action. I just found a load recently using 250gr atips that is very accurate moving right around 2615fps. May not be the flattest combo but it's got a lot of mass moving.

When ADG gets there 300wsm brass out it will be a game changer just like with the Nosler cartridges.
This is just an over the counter Remington standard action, nothing super duper. Playing around with 3.13" on the bench so far. I realize now the Dakota is quite the stretch somewhere around 15+ grains more powder capacity.

when i had my 300 dakota built back in 2000 my smith clay spencer also made the dies from the same reamer print.wsm wont come close period.but is is a great cartridge.

The 300 Dakota was ahead of the game and was hamstrung by lack of load data, rifle chambering, brass etc. Great cartridge!

A 300WSM is another great cartridge but it is what it is. It has nice niche but is always compared to bigger cartridges as if it can magically gain performance to equal or exceed the larger capacity cartridges. More fuel will always = more performance.

Checking Hornady Load data for the Dakota it appears the WSM would equal it given the same OAL limitations. Does anyone have the data? Relevant to the comparison is the small differences between the Nosler, Rum & Dakota 300's specifically 190-210 Grain Load data.
.300 Dakota is a ballistic equivalent of a 300 Wby, or slightly exceeds it. Not in same class as .300 WSM or 300 WM.

Dakota capacity is 97 gr