300 blk

Hntbambi

Anyone using a 300 Blackout AR? I thought about a 300 Whisper about 10 years ago, but never had a strong enough urge to build one. One of the reasons is my infatuation with wildcats went away. Since AAC has commercialized the cartridge, I am looking at it again. A buddy who is a LEO is building one on a NFA configuration with a can. Watching the videos of suppressed AAC firing and I am getting the urge to play again.

For those not familiar with the 300 Blackout (7.62x35), it's very similar to the 300 Whisper which is a .221 Rem Fireball necked up to .30 caliber. With 220 gr bullets, it can be loaded subsonic and is a quiet, sweet shooter out to 100 yards.

No.

I'm going for .458SOCOM. Rifle caliber bullets, sub and supersonic depending on bullet weight, and will go out to 200yds. I think in the right hands, and the right loads would do great out to 400+.

The lighter bullets shoot like a 45-70Gov. The haevies, well, are heavy.

Happy hunting with the 300 Blackout. What ever floats your boat. Enjoy the sport of building another upper/rifle. BRD (black rifle disease)

I'm thinking about it now! I've got a suppressed 7.62x39 upper that shoots full power ammo great, but the EBR 220grn subsonics are all over the place. I've kicking the 300 whisper rebarrel idea around for a year or so. Now I've read this post and researched the round and think this might be a better rout to take.

There's a boy on Snipershide that has a Noveske 300blk upper for sale and I'm seriously thinking about it.

At the moment, I don't reload...which is why the 300 whisper hasn't come home. But now, it may just be time to start gearing up.

My good lady is going to take a stick to the both of us :D **** black rifle disease.

Cheers,
Breeze

Currently, Remington is producing factory ammo. It is rumored that Federal and Hornady will be releasing some also.

I think the round has grown on me enough that it will definitely be my next AR build. Probably not my next gun build but definitely my next AR. :D

Hmmmmmm, so I see that I'm not the only sufferererer of the Black Rifle Disease!

It's a terrible thing, but and a big but at that, unlike a crack head we have something to show for it at the end of the day....besides really dilated pupils. :D

Cheers,
SB

What velocity did you want?

300 AAC BLACKOUT is 110 grain at 2450 fps from a 16 inch barrel at 55,000 psi, or 123 grain at 2315 fps.

What was the issue with the 300/221? What twist did you go with?

Sorry, I didn't remember the second part of your question. I have an 8 twist barrel.

What velocity did you want?

300 AAC BLACKOUT is 110 grain at 2450 fps from a 16 inch barrel at 55,000 psi, or 123 grain at 2315 fps.

That's why I ordered a 300 blk barrel...

Hmmmmmm, so I see that I'm not the only sufferererer of the Black Rifle Disease! It's a terrible thing, but and a big but at that, unlike a crack head we have something to show for it at the end of the day....besides really dilated pupils. :D SB

The cure for the BLK plague is to simply take a close look at the trajectory and wind deflection charts compared to other AR-15 cartridges. Then look at the various AR-10 cartridges if you're interested in "Long Range Hunting", particularly the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor.

It is not a good choice for long-range hunting. If you would not shoot it with a scoped-30-30, then you would not want to shoot it with 300 AAC BLACKOUT. We are doing optimized bullets though - something in between the two in the video is the goal.

If you want a 30 caliber hunting round to shoot from an AR-15 look at the new Olympic 300 OSSM. It's just a 25 WSSM necked up to 30 cal, but it gives 308 Win performance.
It's still not a long range cartridge as 150 grains is about the max bullet weight because of the AR-15's short magazine. The only commercial AR currently on the market is I consier "Long Range" the 6.5 Creedmoor in a DPMS LR-65CM. It's good for medium game to 1000 yards . The 300 SAUM was good to over 1000 yards. but (I believe) now discontinued by DPMS and Armalite.

Heres' my 300 OSSM. The cartridges top to bottom are 300 OSSM, 6.5 Grendel, and 223 Rem.
300olympic.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.