300 blk bullets

Jfloyd,
25 years ago when I built my first suppressed rifle, I had the same problem. There were very few choices of bullets for a subsonic load, everything was designed to expand at 2000+ FPS. I started out using a Sierra 180 gr soft point in a .308 win over 8.5 grains of N310. Bullets just penciled right through.
There were one or two companies that made projectiles that were supposedly made for subsonic velocities but I never had good performance out of any of them and they were crazy expensive.
Nowadays, there are several companies that make a solid copper bullet that is designed to work at sub velocity.
Maker Bullets and Lehigh Defense are two that have a good reputation so far. I have not shot any into ballistic gel or a varmint yet but I will soon. I think they are worth looking at. I would definitely prefer to shoot a copper solid rather than a lead bullet and having to clean lead out of the bore.
Just my two cents, hope this helps a little,
Good Luck

For the guys shooting non expanding subs, are you guys hunting or just shooting for fun/practice? The reason I ask is I've not had stellar results with standard bullets at sub velocities. That said I've only shot one deer but it penciled right through and had to follow up with a head shot. It was a 338 Spectre and a 300 grain SMK so not exactly the same thing but scared me to the point that I switched to Outlaw bullets. I just haven't hunted with the 338S since.
I am not hunting with them. I shoot the non-expanders for range ammo. Definitely would not hunt with the Berry's.

I completely agree with using expanding Bullets but if everyone remembers, there were a ton of claims that the SMKs tumble on impact at low velocities creating "devistating effects". My one experience shows otherwise. Just curious if anyone else had different luck. I will only shoot expanding Bullets at any velocity. For you guys that are shooting expanding pills, take a look at Outlaw State Bullets if you'd like options. No on game experience but accuracy is there.
Thanks for the replies folks!

Jfloyd,
I apologize. I read your post as Outlaw bullets, and I mistakenly thought you were using a pure lead bullet. I now realize it is Outlaw State Bullets.
They look like they would work good. I may have to order some and test them along with the Maker and Lehigh Defense and see which one performs the best. I still have some ballistic gel layin around....

Serria 220gr RNFB over 9.5grs of h110, clocked them at 965ish out of a 16"barrel. I prefer the RNFB projectiles, do a little better on expansion. I've loaded and shot some 208gr HPbt, and they are good, but just poke holes in water jugs, unlike the 220gr ones mentioned above

Now have a 8-1/2" with a innovated arms deception. Same load. Still quiet. no idea on speed but stabilize fine in the shorter barrel

I have some nosler ballistic tips loaded but my cheap behind hasn't bought any 300 specific mags so loading them in to a GI mag gets kinda wonky.
Serria 220gr RNFB over 9.5grs of h110, clocked them at 965ish out of a 16"barrel. I prefer the RNFB projectiles, do a little better on expansion. I've loaded and shot some 208gr HPbt, and they are good, but just poke holes in water jugs, unlike the 220gr ones mentioned above

Now have a 8-1/2" with a innovated arms deception. Same load. Still quiet. no idea on speed but stabilize fine in the shorter barrel

I have some nosler ballistic tips loaded but my cheap behind hasn't bought any 300 specific mags so loading them in to a GI mag gets kinda wonky.
I've had good results with the Lancer mags. Made for 556 but never let me down in the 300blk.

There are a lot of options for supers but availability is next to impossible. I've had good luck with 110-150 range with SST's, BT's, standard cup and core from 110-125 are all good options for supers. My new favorite is the Speer Gold Dot 150gr for 300BLK but they are nonexistent right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.