300 Ackley??

Thanks to those who replied. I took some brass to Bobby Hart at R. W. Hart Inc. in Nescopeck, Pa. today. He sized some brass in his 300 Hart dies, and told me if my rifle would chamber it, I could use those dies. Wonder of wonders, it chambered just fine. I am going to take the rifle to him tomorrow for closer examination. Since he told me he was a world record holder at 1000 yds with the 300 Hart, I suppose he must know what he is talking about. I do know they are very nice people, and bent over backward to help
Necopeck! I have a customer in Berwick. I purchased a set of RCBS 30 degree dies and they didn't size mine enough. I contacted RCBS and they had me send them back with five fired cases. They had to make a new set and there was no charge, outstanding customer service! Glad you got it running.

Thanks to those who replied. I took some brass to Bobby Hart at R. W. Hart Inc. in Nescopeck, Pa. today. He sized some brass in his 300 Hart dies, and told me if my rifle would chamber it, I could use those dies. Wonder of wonders, it chambered just fine. I am going to take the rifle to him tomorrow for closer examination. Since he told me he was a world record holder at 1000 yds with the 300 Hart, I suppose he must know what he is talking about. I do know they are very nice people, and bent over backward to help

Bobby built a 30 Hart for me years ago. I had the 2nd gun made from their reamer. His was the first.
Ballistic wise the gun did fine, accuracy was another thing. I had RW Hart build a 16.5 Light gun for Williamsport and IBS. After getting my butt kicked I sent it off to Clay Spencer who made it into a fire form gun for my other (2) 300 Weatherby's
Get this, my chamber was different from Bob's and all 3 guns Clay built for me were perfect!
Just watch the headspace and pressure on it but if I were you I'd really consider the dies.
By the way, what world record does Bobby have??

As to record, i can only say that he said he held a record at 1000 yards w his 30 Hart. I don't really know enough about this long range shooting to even ask intelligent questions. Probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. I take him at his word until I know different. I do know that after sizing in the 30 Hart dies the round chambered in my rifle, so I will try those dies.

My smith shoots one of these, and builds them where they're shooting 5 shots in the same hole. I am wanting to build one out of a .300 Wby barrel he has sitting around. Any info on where to find dies for the .300 Ackley 40* Shoulder with a .01" body taper would be great.

they've all gotten tired of fire forming and gone to the rum...:D:D:D
The Ackley has a significantly longer neck, like the .300 H&H and .300 Wby...So barrel and throat life should be much better.

Everybody hates fire-forming...I guess it's just laziness. Take 50 rounds to the range for it that day. Go shoot them for fun, and POOF! You come home with 50 fire-formed brass. :D

I will never own a RUM other than to use the action for something else. :cool:

The Ackley has a significantly longer neck, like the .300 H&H and .300 Wby...So barrel and throat life should be much better.

Everybody hates fire-forming...I guess it's just laziness. Take 50 rounds to the range for it that day. Go shoot them for fun, and POOF! You come home with 50 fire-formed brass. :D

I will never own a RUM other than to use the action for something else. :cool:

I've got both a 7rum and 300rum. The 300rum is an absolute hammer. The 7rum still doesn't have its footing (still playing with test loads but have the last rifle's playbook handy for reference) but it'll be a hammer too if all plays out like the tea leaves are reading so far. The rums are good calibers; I may have to get a 338 and 375 also like doublez so I have one of each.:D

As to barrel life, my 300rum has a bunch of rounds on it and she's still going strong with little wear showing. My last 7rum went in normal fashion, but I did shoot the crap out of her at the range a few times. I love my 7stw, but I've made more difficult and farther shots with the 7rum. This 7stw aint to shabby so far though.
I've thought about the 300 ackley or hart, but my 300win is close, my 300rum whoops it, and it would cost a mint to refit my browning 300win with a good pipe and a new mag.. good cal's, but I've gotten that niche taken care of already.

I've got both a 7rum and 300rum. The 300rum is an absolute hammer. The 7rum still doesn't have its footing (still playing with test loads but have the last rifle's playbook handy for reference) but it'll be a hammer too if all plays out like the tea leaves are reading so far. The rums are good calibers; I may have to get a 338 and 375 also like doublez so I have one of each.:D

As to barrel life, my 300rum has a bunch of rounds on it and she's still going strong with little wear showing. My last 7rum went in normal fashion, but I did shoot the crap out of her at the range a few times. I love my 7stw, but I've made more difficult and farther shots with the 7rum. This 7stw aint to shabby so far though.
I've thought about the 300 ackley or hart, but my 300win is close, my 300rum whoops it, and it would cost a mint to refit my browning 300win with a good pipe and a new mag.. good cal's, but I've gotten that niche taken care of already.

Well...The .300 Ackley (#3) is based on the full-length .300 Wby...So, she packs more punch than that .300 Win does. :D Don't get me wrong, I love the .300 Win. it's a great caliber. But the .300 Ackley packs a bit more punch.

I wouldn't mind possibly owning a .338 RUM, but we don't have any reason to own anything like that. Although I still might buy a .30-378 Wby someday for some ELR shooting and hunting.

I've had my STW since new (12 years now), and she's been an excellent gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.