300 - 338Lapua

6BRBB

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with this cartridge (30 - 338Lapua) i.e. 338Lapua necked down to 30 cal to shoot .308 projectiles in the Berger 210VLD - 240SMK range.

If such a combination could achieve 3000fps with the 240SMK then it would have similar to marginally flatter (?) trajectory than a 300grain .338 projectile doing 2800 fps.

I look forward to hearing others experiances with this combination.

Thanks
Glen

Last edited:
Interesting cartrige, and I'm sure someone has done it. You would pobably be able to get identical numbers from guys shooting the 300 RUM with those bullets. Maybe even the 338 RUM necked down to .30 cal. Is this a build you have special intentions for? Something the 300 RUM couldnt do? Besides the highter quality brass I cant see the advantage. keep us posted.

JP

I have a 30-338 lapua wildcat called "30 wolf"
Other than it is a lot of work, I enjoy shooting it.
Do a search you can get some good info.
If you search back around 2002 their was some great info.

Cam

6BRBB,

I have a 30-338 Lap imp. So far I have not run any of the heavy 30 cal bullets. This last hunting season I ran the 180g Nosler E-tips because they have nearly identical bc's as the 200g Accubond and I could push them a few hundred fps faster, making them out perform the the Accubond at all ranges. I am currently running them at 3600fps. I would say this is a bit on the hot side, but so far brass seems to be holding up fine.

If you go with the improved design you should be able to expect 3200-3300 fps out of the 240g SMK. This is going to be a tough combo to beat out at great distance. I am currently waiting for some GS Custom bullets to arrive and start testing them. On paper The 177g GS bullet will beat the 240g SMK out past 2000yrds for windage and drop.

I am leaning this direction for bullet choice simply because I prefer a dedicated hunting bullet that does not easily fragment. This just my preference, and not putting down the SMK choice in any way. Many hunters here have had great results with the SMK.

The 30-338 Lap imp is going to be pretty much the hottest 30cal you can get. There are slightly different designs in this chambering that will run a little + or -. Kirby Allen is the man who talked me into this chambering. I was not able to use his design because I already had my rifle with a different smith. His is a little hotter that mine, I believe his is the hottest design available. I would highly recommend him to do the work for you.

Good luck, Steve

I have a 300 AX from Kirby which is a variation of a 30-338 improved. It will go 3100 with a 240 SMK. Kirby's claim is that it will do what a 30-378 Weatherby will do with 15-20 grains less powder and I have found this to be a true representation of the cartridge. Mine has been running 3050 with the 240 and it seems mild with tight primers and no other pressure signs.

How long is your barrel? Kirby's specs show the 30 AX shooting 265g Wildcats 3000 to 3100fps 27"-30" barrel. When we went and shot with Kirby I thought that we were shooting the 240 smk between 3200 and 3300fps. I may be wrong. Maybe Kirby will chime in.

Steve

The 30-378 is more gun per-say, the problem was good powders. (few choose's) to fill the case
It holds more powder, So it was hard to utilize the case. even the good 30 cal bullets were not ideal, it just is at the edge of what was avalible for components.

Howard Wolf use to shorten the 30-378 case for his bench rest gun, quite possible before Kirby was even born. "He is a 1K hall of famer" the 30-338 is close to what he shot just modern components. This is my understanding anyway. maybe Kirby knows for sure?

As buffalorancher said, The 30-338 holds less powder.
It has more powder choose's, is more friendly to work with, better brass, etc.

It is a great 30 cal platform, very accurate, now we just need some more bullet choose's like some 230 gn VLD, 250 gn tungson, maybe a few more powders too. LOL

The new components coming out should really make the chambering outstanding. Then maybe we could actually buy loaded rounds, but what fun would that be?

CAM

the 30-338 has beendiscussed hear since 2002. use the search button and put in "30 Wolf" and about 300-500 posts on it.

As others said, nothing new with this cartridge, but an excellant one.

BH

Steve,
The barrel on my 300 AX is 27 inches. I choose this because it is used a lot hunting from blinds and 30 just seems a little long. As far as velocity or the potential of it, I have no idea how hard I could push it. Kirby got the rifle done just before deer season and I told him to come up with a decent load while accuracy testing so I didn't have to worry about it. It must work since I've killed probably 20 deer with it in 20 shots out to about 900 yards. I may try to get something going this spring but I'm not interested in pushing the limit on this since I have a 6-284 that I've already worn pretty good chasing this and that.

Re: 30 - 338Lapua

Thank you every on for your very useful feedback. Certainly a lot to think about. Will definitely do some more research. Thanks !!

Glen

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with this cartridge (30 - 338Lapua) i.e. 338Lapua necked down to 30 cal to shoot .308 projectiles in the Berger 210VLD - 240SMK range.

If such a combination could achieve 3000fps with the 240SMK then it would have similar to marginally flatter (?) trajectory than a 300grain .338 projectile doing 2800 fps.

I look forward to hearing others experiances with this combination.

Thanks
Glen

Lapua got the 300 Lapua Magnum, that is a 30-338 LM.

Cheers,

Master Diver

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.