300/338 Lapua Improved

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
What would you guys think about basically GoodGroupers moag but neck it down to a 30cal and launch some 250gr bullets out of it.

Just currious as to how quickly you would burn out the throat, how fast it would be with the 230-250gr bullets??

Just some more stupid crap that rolls through my mind during a boring day

thanks
steve

Lerch,
I thought you and Bill had A.M.'s that are closely related to the same fire breather as the MOAG, overheat the barrel one time and you will be singing TOAST,TOAST I HATE TOAST.
The MOAG got abused 1 time and now there is a reamer on the way so it can be set back 3-4" thank goodness for a 36" barrel.
UB

I have one with a 35 degree shoulder. In a thirty inch tube I shoot 150's at 3800 FPS. Can't help you out with the heavy bullets. The brass is great, case design is good and they shoot. If hunting under 700 YRDs i'd go with the lighter hunting bullets. IF over a 1000 maybe some of richards super heavy uld's. Good Luck

UncleB

Yea I have a AM but I am currently thinking about some future hunts where I want a carry weight rifle. I know for elk and like wise sized animals the 270 with the 169 or 185gr ULD would kick @$$ but I think I would want something with a larger bullet diameter for bear.

Besides it is the off season so it is time to think of other ways to spend my wifes money

take it easy
steve

I had a 30/338 LM Imp that had the shoulder pushed back .060" to give it a longer neck. With a 33" 1-10" twist PacNor 3 groove barrel it approached 3200fps launching the 240 SMK with 105grs of WC872. This was as high as I went before I sold the rifle to build something else, I believe it would have exceeded 3200fps as there was more room for approx. 3-5grs of powder. Water capacity was 116.1grs.
Wayne aka WAMBO

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.