30 WOLF

The 30 Wolf is a .338 Lapua Magnum case necked down to 30 caliber with a blown out shoulder. Some, obviously, call it a 30/338 Lapua.

S1 recently finished the machine work on my custom rifle (Nesika action, Lilja barrel, HS Precision stock, Jewell trigger, Nightforce 5.5x22, along with a muzzle brake of his design). The barrel's been broken in and only a few hours of fire-forming and rough load development has been done to date.

I will post a full review and pictures of the rifle as soon as he finishes the dies and I can really wring the thing out with regard to load development.

I only have a few anecdotal data points now, but with that in mind, I can say that this system looks verrrrry promising for doing extreme long-range work in a reasonably deployable and comfortable way. If it works out as I hope and expect it will, it just may be the best...well, I'll wait for the data to pronounce that judgement!

Stay tuned - more to come...

More details please
smile.gif
What bullets are recomended? What is the expected exterior ballistics performance?
Expected barrel life?
TIA

Well, we used an 11 twist barrel, so it'll most likely shoot A-Max or Matchking up to 220 grains with proper stabilization. I'll also be trying JLKs and Bergers. And since I just can't help but try it, the 240 MKs will also make a few trips out of the 32 inch Lilja...

Muzzle velocities are approximately 50-100 fps faster than the 300 Ultra Mag per bullet weight.

S1 has fired, I believe, over 1500 rounds through one of his without having rechambered the 3 groove Lilja, so I expect the same barrel life.

Like I said, this board can be sure that I will provide a detailed review of the system once I have put the requisite work into wringing it out...

Hi S1, are there tungsten, or any other monolithic bullets suitable for LR shooting available for the general public? The ones I know of are the Lost River, any others?
Is reticle/trajectory integration with the R2 reticle only possible with these bullets, or also lead core ones (BTW, when are you going to write an article about optimizing the R2 reticle)?
How fast (in rotations/second) can you push lead core bullets before they distort too much or blow up?
Thanks,

Ruben

S1, what kind of bc. does the 210jlk's have. Do they make havier ones? Also I have a 1/8 twist on a 300tommy, would they overstabalize?
smile.gif

The powdered tungsten stuff we shoot is not monolithic. Monolithic bullets don't compare to this technology as far as terminal performance across a range of impact velocities.

RPM limits are different for different bullets with different jacket designs. A bullet does not have to blow up to have problems. Core to jacket separation can cause big time dispersion and hard to resolve flight dynamics problems.

Powdered core bullet technology should be available to the public within the next 10 months, we are working on it. To produce this stuff in the volume necessary to go public requires very very expensive technology and equipment.

IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT!

R2 INTEGRATION? I can only type so fast...

HOwdy Charles

I do not know if Jimmy is making a heavier 30 cal. I bought 10 boxes of 190's and 5 boxes of 210's about 4 years ago and have not ordered anymore. Both lots were outstanding in accuracy, and I just ran out of 210's so if you find out, let me know.

As good as those bullets were, 1/4 MOA or better, I doubt there would be much penalty for spinning them a little faster than needed for stabilization, as long as you did not get too crazy with the velocity and raise that whole core to jacket integrity issue. The 210's shot lights out at 3,180 fps. in a 1/10" Wolf barrel. I suspect you would be good to at least 3,000 maybe faster.

The 210's fly between .660 and .705 depending on vel., twist, range.

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: S1 ]

Thanks, I'm going to call JLK tomorrow, and see if they make any heavier ones. When those 253gr bullets of yours are availeble, let me know.
wink.gif

Charles

The 253's are just a little shorter than a 210 Berger, and only need a 1/11" twist to stabilize. Very dense cores.

That's alot of info and help for others I see. Now this powdered bullet tech will that only be for 30 cals or will something be tried in the 338 family also. Seem as thought it might make a good HOG bullet. Got some of those critters down this way that likes to run off when hit with other bullets.

Texas,

They won't be runnin off if they get hit with one of these! This stuff is already been in use by some of our bad boys, and a Fed agency or two.

Have you ever seen a 12" X 12" X 24" hunk of gel block get blown clean off a table by a 30 cal bullet?!!!!

Everybody say it together now.......

ENERGY DUMP!!!

There are 30 cals for supersonic flight in 253 gr., 200 gr., and 175 gr.

30 cals for subsonic flight in 280 gr., and 300 gr.

IN .223 there are 87 gr., 103 gr., and 147 gr. the heaviest one is for subsonic flight. (think M4 Rock & Roll without the sound.)

The external ballistics of this technology is quite amazing, but when people see the wound ballistics with their own eyes, its like OOOOOO MYYYYYY G__________D!!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts