30 WOLF

S1 and CJ you know if you two due this shoot-out now. You will have to come back in Aug/Sep when most of us can get together for a LR Board Family Reunion.
Would love to know the results. To be fair suggest you both take turns shooting each others rifle and posting the results.

Chris

I think your project is a fine example of how to get amazing 30 cal. velocity while spending very little money. This is really cool for guys to analyze when thinking about their own projects. I have done this for a few guys on a budget:

Rem. 700 7mm UM stainless $800.00

Anti Torque Brake installed $320.00

Recoil lug installed $ 80.00

Chris, do you do your own bedding, or was that included in the cost? Did your gunsmith use an aftermarket recoil lug, and was that included? Have you installed a bolt ring to take up some of the slop when the bolt is closed to hold your lugs square? These are low cost things we do that really add up to accuracy on a budget with factory actions.
smile.gif

S1- I do my own stock work and have for years, but the stock I used (Holland HV) comes with all the stuff and a video, so a do it yourself guy with minor skill could do it without a problem. I forgot to add the $22 recoil lug and $100 brake--Add $122 to my total. Everything else is included, though.
What to you charge to install the bolt ring/bushing? What is involved? That is the only thing I still need to do to the Tommy..It has too much slop in the bolt while in the fired position for my liking...
Maybe we can start again without the bickering--I want this board to be the best it can be without all the bull.. That's why Len created it-to get away from the BS we were encountering on other boards...
smile.gif

S1,
where is the bolt ring placed? My brother and I were talking about this yesterday.

My ejector spring is so stiff it dents case mouths on ejection and barely any contact is made on the right lug when a case is chambered because of the torque on the bolt to the right in the rear. Building the action up with a TIG at the rear opening and recutting it tight and true was what we were thinking. Upon firing the bolt is forced back on both lugs but if the bullet is not into or on the lands it is likely cocked because of the ejector button force.

I had my A-Bolt rechambered to 300 RUM for $110. How's that for bang for the buck?
grin.gif

Of course it's only about a 3/4 MOA rifle but that's good enough for my skill level right now. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the really budget-conscience people that may be reading. If a guy has an old standard magnum rifle laying around that he's bored with, rechamber then go shoot out the barrel while saving for the high-dollar stuff. I haven't had this much fun with this rifle for years.

Jon A

I have some 300 grain 30 cals. I need you to test at max pressure in your rechambered A- bolt.

With no money spent on a brake, all you have to do is shoot one of these bullets, and you will forever be the BANG for your buck King.

And what a BANG it will be!
grin.gif

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Heh, no thanks!
wink.gif
The 240's thump me hard enough as it is. I use lots of padding for extended range sessions and I'm not afraid to admit it!

S1--
You sure are a defensive type of fellow, aren't you? I never intended the post as a cheap shot, and I never said my Tomahawk was BETTER than your Wolf, only that it provides similar performance in a much less expensive package. I'm sure some of the guys here would love to have a high performance rifle, but can't afford building a ground-up gun on a custom action. I'm sure I will try some of your excellent bullets when they become available, as the sound like they fly flatter than my 240 gr. SMKs.
As for the hunting antelope--As I stated -I hunt in Wyopming every year AND if you will read my last post closely, you will see that I noted over-the-counter doe tags as the EXCEPTION to my statement. I was really hoping you had found a way to get more than one buck tag.....
grin.gif

You can feel free to ask DC about the Tomahawk--he was instrumental in setting up the specs on the reamer. It is a phenomenal performer for the cost involved. I have posted a few targets I shot on this and other boards, and although they are not 1/4 MOA(closer to .5), they were shot from a Harris bipod under hunting conditions...
I will be happy to meet you at WyoWhisper's place for some shooting(if that is OK with you, Ric)--hovever, I am not a foolish enough to bet $10K that the sun is going to rise tomorrow, much less that I can out-shoot anyone on a given day. I'll let you know when I'll be a Ric's place, most likely it will be during the first half of this year...I already have a plane ticket to Cody, as my parents live directly (1125 yards
grin.gif
) across the highway from Ric's front door)...We might be able to even talk DC into coming out...We could shoot some video and have some fun. Hell. you could even ask the Govenor... I know a retired Attorney General of Wyomng, maybe he could come...
BTW-- I can't afford a Vector right now, but I'm sure you could bring an extra one for me to use when my 1200 and my Wild play out...I may even let you play with my ancient Optical Dinosaur.....
I will take a Tupperware stock if you have one laying around and I'd love to see a copy of the video.. your email is on the way..Again, I wasn't trying to start a ****ing match, just trying to get the facts..

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

Brent

The bolt ring can not be put on every rifle. Some actions are not straight enough, to straighten them would remove so much metal it would not be practical. I have noticed over the years that the stainless actions in Rem 700 are significantly straighter on average than the non stainless. I believe that these actions are machined first and then heat treated. They all collapse in the same direction related the the ejection port cut out. The bolt on a typical gun is jacked up in the back by the forces of cocking the firing pin spring. You can usually pushdown on the back of the bolt after cocking, and feel the amount of slop, it will spring back.

Nesika has addressed this problem by placing what they call Borden bumps on the shank of the bolt just behind the recoil lugs. I like to true the action by removing material in the back just behind the ejection port cut out to co-axial align the I.d. of this area with the cylinder I.D. in front of the cut out. Then I place a bolt ring of the proper fit on the bolt just in front of the bolt handle.

This has 2 advantages it greatly improves the lug engagement, and it allows the bolt to travel freely when unlocked and pulled back a few mm.

The guys that place a bolt ring up front seem to have trouble with binding in real world hunting conditions, and I don't think it helps much once the rear of the bolt is fitted properly. Target rifles will not suffer from a ring in the front and back, if properly fitted.

Chris,

Most guys charge around 90 to 110 dollars, if your action is straight enough to true up for a bolt ring.
smile.gif

Thanks,
That kind of brings me to another point. When you recut the boltface do you use a bolt jig in the lathe using the firing pin hole for center or can one mount it up tight somehow in the reciever to cut it perfectly square while in the reciever jig when doing everything else to the reciever? Thinkin too much lately.
grin.gif

Texas and S1,
I've been away for awhile and missed most of this post until now. Sierra does make 250gr MK bullets in 338. I've had 500 on my loading table right now for approx 6 months and have yet to shoot any out of my 338 Yogi. So I don't know the BC yet. Have a fellow competitor using 250gr Lapua Scenar's out of his 338 Lapua Improved and has shot a couple of 5" 10 shot groups with it in BR competition.

Crow Mag,
Tooley also makes a 300 Yogi also which looks to be almost indentical to S1's 30 Wolf. Got one friend in Ohio using it with 240gr SMK and doing very well with it in BR competition in LG class.

Jim Borden has always been a big proponent of sleeving bolts to eliminate the uplift of rear of the bolt when engaging the sear. This is the reason for the design/patent on the "Borden Bumps" that are used on his and Nesika's actions. I was just in Jim's shop last Monday... he has a nice showroom of some nice trophy animals that I can only dream about.

S1,
Your right about Howard Wolfe. I met Howard in the early 80s at the PA 1000yd club. A quiet gentleman willing to help anyone. Watched his boy Bobby shoot a very small 4" group using his old 30-378 short chambering while I pulled the target for him once. It was a tight group with only a few loose shots to open it up to 4.???".

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

Steve

Howdy Steve

Would really appreciate some real world Bc's on the 250, as I have zero data on this bullet. Thanks.

Steve glad you made it back. Really could have used that little bit of info to help keep me from the funny farm
grin.gif
. I posted the BC of this bullet under FOUND after talking to a Sierra tech.

Brent

We have alignment fixtures to hold the bolt, and have similar fixtures to hold actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.