30 WOLF

Me like terminal ballistics
grin.gif
. Ok what about the .338 family any info? What type of muzzle brake are you designing and how effective is it?

Matt27

They are not the same, the Wolf has a shorter neck and less taper on the case body, more powder capacity. The Wolf has a 35 degree shoulder. It is based on the .338 Lapua case however.
smile.gif

S1
What is the H2O capacity of the 30 wolf I have a 338 YOGI and it holds 120g of watter and was thinking about a 30 YOGI and was woundering if they were about the same.
confused.gif

crow mag

Crow Mag

The Wolf runs between 118.5 and 121.5 depending on the lot of brass and which chamber. There is less taper in the Wolf body than the Yogi, but the Wolf does not have the volume of a .338 NECK. So your functional case capacity, with a bullet pressed in place is probably a tick higher in the Wolf.

S1
first let me tell you I have enjoyed all the info you have shared. I have always liked the 30 cals. My granddad gave me a 300 sav., then I bought my first 30-06, then the 300 wby. now I shoot the 30-378 wby and I ordered a new 30-378 from Howard Wolfe and will be recieving soon. the rifle is a nesika action, jewel trig, 32" kreiger, in a elk ridge laminated stock that I will finish my self. I am very excited about this gun and know the potental of the round. Do you have any info regarding the 30-378 or any testing THANK YOU CAM

HOwdy Cam

Congratulations on your new rifle! I can say from experience that Howard is a Great Guy. He was kind enough to loan us his Short Wolfe reamer over a decade ago so we could quickly begin our research on big 30 cals. I was in awe of his unselfishness and willingness to help people.

We got away from the 30-378 for a couple of reasons that I will not go into, but it is a fine cartridge, and if I remember H50 BMG was the most consistent performer across a range of conditions (temps) and did well on velocity with 200 grainers and heavier.

We had to meet certain standards for velocity (and pressure variances) that you are not subject to, and we noted in our research that in cold weather, there were some ball powders, that produced amazing velocity and accuracy, but had problems when things got above 45 degrees F.

I would defer to DC on the powder and load info on this case, because our data is old and there are guys that have shot a lot of this recently, with newer lots of powder.

Would really like to know how it shoots, and how Howard is doing. Good luck, but I bet you won't need it!
smile.gif

S1
Thank you for your answer and keep up the great info. There are some great contributers on this board and a lot of useful knowledge shared thanks for your help
CAM

S1, not trying to compare apples to oranges but you say that 30 wolf out shines the 338s out to about 1800 yards. What do you feel would be equal to it within that range in a man portable hunting gun? Giving the use of 250gr SMK's vs the 250gr powdered tungten bullets that you mentioned?

Texas

This is a great question. Can you or someone give me some real world B.C. data on the .338 250 gr. Sierra match kings. We have not tested these bullets over the Oehler 43.

Brent have you shot these over your 43?

Texas, I am not sure if I understand your question, please correct me if I am wrong.

You want to know how fast must you fire a .338 SMK 250 gr. bullet to equal the performance of a 253 gr. 30 cal. powdered tungsten bullet at X_________ range? Is this the same question you asked, and what range or scope of ranges do you want to compare?
confused.gif

In the 338s, I've only tested the 300gr SMK so far. Is there a 250gr SMK or just the Gameking? My program shows a SGK with a BC of .565 and this will not EVEN keep up with the Wolf and that high BC tungsten core bullet.

If it is to have a BC as high as the tungsten and be pushed at the same speed (only way to equal its trajectory) it needs to be longer and likely heavier too. If it is heavier it will need a big case like a 416 Rigby/505 Gibbs to get the extra powder behind it too.

When you get the bigger, heavier bullet there with the same trajectory it hits with more frontal area and energy though.

S1
Are you working with a 338 Tungsten bullet or just the 30 cal. I would like to see more 338 hi BC bullets like a 280g to 300g AMAX or Tungsten
grin.gif

Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.