30 sherman magnum

I'll probably try it anyway. Or at the very least see what i can achieve with a 24/26" 30 SM with the 245gr. Thinking i might go 26" and just run a shorter can, deal with the noise, and have the same or shorter OAL than my 7 SS. Then if i'm still not at the desired results +P it.

My problem with moving cartridges is the logical choice is 300 norma but at the expense of every other component in the build. XL action, powder burn, barrel life, more expensive brass, etc. I suppose it's a bit hypocritical trying to be efficient when discussing $3000 builds and huge magnums but I am who I am lol.

Starting with barrels that are not on the tight side goes a LOT farther, Proof a great way to not get the speed you should for the pressure.

Building a 30SM now ... going to use this as a 1 mile target rig that "could" double as a long range (albeit heavy) hunter.

Barrel and dies are ordered - everything else is on the bench ...

I posted looking for some load data input ... if any of you could take a look and offer your thoughts, I would most appreciate it. It is in a different thread so as not to hijack/clog this one up.

Thanks in advance guys ...
Tim

Just got mine finished and scoped.
Pierce ultra light everything is ti and carbon. Even my firing pin and action screws are ti.
Anyway. Was gonna start fireforming today
. So I have 9lbs of rl33. And some 195 Sierra to fire form. First question is what charge should I start for fireforming?
Second I plan on launching 214 hammers or something in that ballpark.
Rl33 seemed to work great in my win mag and my other large case rounds. I assume this should work would I be correct? Also 26" pipe on it.
Thanks

I started shooting the original prototype of Rich's current 30 SM back in 2015 (originally coined 30/375 S.I.) Only Hornady 375 Ruger brass was available back then for parent brass. We eventually concurred the Hornady 375 brass sucked eggs and sought a better alternative for parent cases.

I migrated to using RWS and Norma 8x68S brass for the parent case, and fire-formed those for higher quality brass. Fast forward to today, and Rich has worked with ADG to get quality headstamped 30 SM cases. They still need to be fireformed in a 30 SM chamber. The prior two cartridge versions of the current 30 SM were very close in case capacity, so the data below will be applicable to use in the ADG 30 SM cases for purposes of selecting a fire-forming charge of RL-33.

If you're going to fireform with 195gr Sierra bullets, I fire-formed cases using Speer 200gr JSP bullets and a moderate pressure load of 78.5gr H1000 in Norma 8x68S brass, using CCI 250M primers. I never used RL-33 to fire-form any cases. I mostly used the C-O-W fire-forming method.

I did use RL-33 to develop hunting loads with two different lead jacketed bullets. These were full pressure loads in my rifle and 26" Krieger 4-groove melonited barrel, so you can back off of these charge weights as you choose for fire-forming cases at a lower pressure level. All of my bullets are HBN coated:
1) Hunting Load: Hornady 375 Ruger brass, 215gr Berger, Fed GM215M primers, 85.8gr RL-33. I loaded as high as 89.5gr RL-33 during pressure testing without losing any primer pockets, but settled on the 85.8gr charge of RL-33.

2) Hunting Load: Hornady 375 Ruger brass, Hornady 225gr ELD-M, Fed GM215M primers, 84.8gr RL-33.

I've used RL-26 and N570 powders also, but with Badlands Precision 196.5gr Bulldozer bullet, which is what I most recently hunted with the past 3 seasons. These bullets shot from a 9.4 twist 26" Proof CFW barrel with N570.

I currently have an 8.5 twist Bartlein CFW barrel chambered in the 30 SM, and plan to shoot the Badlands Precision Super Bulldozer-2 bullets out of the 30 SM ADG brass. Plan to use N570 powder. But that barreled action needs bedded in my stock before I can begin fire-forming cases.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks that's what I'm looking for. Just a place to start.
I have 300 pc of Rich's 30 SM adg brass. And a 26" proof carbon barrel. Planned on using the first 100 Pc of brass to fire form while doing barrel break in. I've never done load work till after 100 rounds anyway so that my velocity flattens out before load work.

A 3.875 will work. The 300 PRC case and 28 Nosler are very close in length