30 Sherman Magnum 20” Build

CA48

Thank You. I really have not got to test with the suppressor much. My HTA Chameleon supp can not handle the 20” Bbl. So I bought a TB ultra 5 and Ultra 338 (pictured) that are in jail at my ffl’s place. So if I want to shoot with them on I have to drive 5hrs to his location for now until my stamps come in. I have just shot a handful of groups at 100 yards with the ultra 5 and ultra 338. My rifle at 100 yards with the brake shoots .3-.5 3 shot groups usually the first 2 in the same hole then last shot opens up. I did notice with the suppressors on my groups were about the same size but the were in pretty symmetrical triangles vs 2 in one hole then one off to the side. Then again I don’t put to much thought into accuracy testing at 100 yards with bigger .30s or .338s with heavy for caliber bullets. A lot of the time they will shoot .5” a 100 yards then hold that .5” group to 200 yards as well.

CA48

Thanks Rich, I would like to build another in the next year or so on a chey tac single shot action that way I can run a 1.450 shank for a heavy ELR setup. They do ELR shoots right down the road from me and I would like to get in on that myself. I’m thinking a Bartlein 400MODBB barrel with H-1000 would provide great accuracy and long barrel life.

slowshot18

Hey @CA48 have you loaded any 225 eldms with n570? I have a pile of both, no 215’s as they’ve been unobtanium. I was going to have carbonSix spin up a 20” in 300prc so I didn’t have to load for another rifle, but finding ammo the past few months has been challenging. Purchased some 300 prc brass and dies a month or so ago. Then I started reading more and more about Sherman’s, read this thread last night, called carbonSix this morning and my barrel was going to get chambered today. Told them to stop and do a 30SM. Super stoked about this barrel!

Last edited:

Ed AO

I have a 30 Sm with a 23” barrel. 225 eldm at 3.700” with fed gm215 and lapua brass. 83.8gr n570 at 2920 avg. shoots good to 1225yds, furthest I’ve tested it. Good luck and work up

moxford

re: "those dies we're borderline sizing enough so clickers were more likely. I had Hornady tighten them up another .0005" and they are perfect"

@elkaholic I purchased some Hornady 30 SM dies off eBay. Wondering if I ended up with old stock. Is there an easy way to check? Can I mic the inside and tell? Stock or run numbers?

Cheers,
-mox

elkaholic

re: "those dies we're borderline sizing enough so clickers were more likely. I had Hornady tighten them up another .0005" and they are perfect"

@elkaholic I purchased some Hornady 30 SM dies off eBay. Wondering if I ended up with old stock. Is there an easy way to check? Can I mic the inside and tell? Stock or run numbers?

Cheers,
-mox
You got black market dies that should have been thrown away.

Recent Posts