30 Sherman mag v Properly Throated 300Prc and 30 Nosler

A lot of the data on the 30 SM seems to lean to the 230 gr or heavier bullets since it's pushing the 215 so fast. I know I run the 30 Nosler at the 3120 node and it's epic but have never loaded 230s since it doesn't look like a gain. Looks like some are in the 3000 fps range with the 245s with the 30 SM and 3100 ish with the 230 but since it's newer the data is just trickling out as guys are getting rifles and testing different stuff. Same with the 300 PRC, a lot of them being delivered and wrung out over the summer, the 30 Nosler is pretty wrung out and we have known performance.

With the assumption that we are all using a properly throated cartridge, how does the Sherman stack up to the 300Prc and 30 Nosler? Example: Berger 215, H1000, PROPERLY THROATED :)
Thanks
If comparing between calibers I would like to know what kind of accuracy all these calibers are getting with what Bullets and what velocities and is the accuracy repeatable at higher velocities?

I would think if all were built as identical as possible there wouldn't be any difference in accuracy. As far as accuracy at higher velocities just look at how good the Rums shoot at higher velocities. I think they would all be within 50 fps of each other at the same pressure. I have no experience with the SM but when you get significantly more speed with same capacity cases you are running more pressure. Yes the AI cases can run higher pressure before you see it but that doesn't mean it's not there. I would like to see the velocities of the SM with a pressure barrel to see what kind of pressure is required to achieve the extra velocity.
Shep

Here are the facts. Do what you want with them. The Hornady 300 prc fired case capacity with is ~97 grains H20. ADG 300 PRC non fired is 93.5. The Hornady grew from ~96 to 97 once fired. 30 Noslers are 99(Nosler), 100(bertram), 102(adg). Those are fired in multiple different chambers(not the PRC).

I believe Rich said the SI added 2 grains(maybe he posted in here already. I did not read all posts).

As Rhovee stated steeper shoulders hide pressure better but it is still there. If everything were magically the same(which is impossible) then physics wins period. The larger case is going to push a bullet faster period. I have seen as much as 50fps difference between two barrels with the exact same load. Same bullet lot, same powder lot, etc... If you want apples to apples the best you can do is case capacity. What we have to decide is when is enough enough. The RUM beats them both. The 30-338Lapua improved beats the rum, etc...

Improved cases can mask some of the pressure signs but not all, you'll still be able to measure case head expansion regardless of design. I know that's what Rich looks at as definitive so if your running ADG brass in all cases you will, to the best of our ability be able to run them at similar pressures based on head expansion. I know over the years I've taken SAUM and the SS running nearly exactly the same set ups down to having two barrels that were built back to back and you'll see different numbers at the same case head expansion, you can even feel a recoil impulse difference so there is more to it than raw volume. Loads should also be transferable if it's all about volume but I've seen nothing to suggest that.
You can mask bolt lift and thrust with case design, action design and chamber finish but that expansion on the case head I don't know of a way.

Last edited:
I think you would be splitting hairs between them. You can do some crazy stuff if you dont mind trashing the case after 5 reloads. But if you run them all at equal pressures they will be really close. A barrel or action will make as much or more difference from one to the next IMO. I like both, I have done a lot more Noslers, but had the PRC come out first it would have been the other way. We have ADG brass for both so Theres no advantage there.

I think it is closer than you think, especially when you can run the nosler case long enough to have only the boat tail below the neck. The case capacity difference gets eaten up pretty quick by the bullet.
Throat them out the same and the bigger case always wins, chamber the rum to sammi and the case isnt really that much bigger.
Nobody here is doing anything sammi thats the problem ,, their one siding it so it looks superior plain and simple!

Here are the facts. Do what you want with them. The Hornady 300 prc fired case capacity with is ~97 grains H20. ADG 300 PRC non fired is 93.5. The Hornady grew from ~96 to 97 once fired. 30 Noslers are 99(Nosler), 100(bertram), 102(adg). Those are fired in multiple different chambers(not the PRC).

I believe Rich said the SI added 2 grains(maybe he posted in here already. I did not read all posts).

As Rhovee stated steeper shoulders hide pressure better but it is still there. If everything were magically the same(which is impossible) then physics wins period. The larger case is going to push a bullet faster period. I have seen as much as 50fps difference between two barrels with the exact same load. Same bullet lot, same powder lot, etc... If you want apples to apples the best you can do is case capacity. What we have to decide is when is enough enough. The RUM beats them both. The 30-338Lapua improved beats the rum, etc...

H2O.PNG

here is the original post facts!!!

the rum holds 114 gr water!!

its not just the 40 deg that hides pressure its the extremely low amount of body taper, probably and extremely tight web spec and so on !!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.