.30 PRC

.30US

A buddy's coworker is testing a .30 PRC. I didn't ask who provided it to him, but he isn't a wildcatter, and I got the impression it was from either the rifle maker or the ammo manufacturer. Anyone seen anything on it?

Well, a 6.5 PRC is a necked down 300 RCM for whatever that's worth. I'm not sure what the difference would be unless it is a RCM derivative?

Turns out the 6.5 PRC's size is in between of the 300 RCM and 338 RCM.
Case length of 6.5 PRC is 2.030"
" " " 300 RCM is 2.1"
" " " 338 RCM is 2.015"

Base to shoulder / neck junction:
6.5 PRC 1.7582" Why Hornady goes to fourth place who knows?
300 RCM 1.795"
338 RCM 1.695"

I know it is splitting hairs.... I suppose technically a 300 PRC would not be either RCM necked down. But the differences are very minor as we can see.

Have no idea why anyone would make a 30 PRC when the 300 RCM exists. Reminds me of someone asking why not neck up a 260 to 30 cal to make a new cartridge? A 30-260 would be a wonderful round.

Turns out the 6.5 PRC's size is in between of the 300 RCM and 338 RCM.
Case length of 6.5 PRC is 2.030"
" " " 300 RCM is 2.1"
" " " 338 RCM is 2.015"

Base to shoulder / neck junction:
6.5 PRC 1.7582" Why Hornady goes to fourth place who knows?
300 RCM 1.795"
338 RCM 1.695"

I know it is splitting hairs.... I suppose technically a 300 PRC would not be either RCM necked down. But the differences are very minor as we can see.

Have no idea why anyone would make a 30 PRC when the 300 RCM exists. Reminds me of someone asking why not neck up a 260 to 30 cal to make a new cartridge? A 30-260 would be a wonderful round.
Where did you find the dimensions of a 6.5 PRC?

If the 6.5 PRC became any wildcat, a 7mm fits the bill. It would be similar to the 284 Win but would do much better in a SA and have a wee more powder. It would offer less performance than the 7SAUM but could still be very practical. Especially among the competition crowd. It wouldn't be magic but still would offer something good in its own right.

That said, I'm putting together a 7SAUM. Good brass being available and it being a slight step up over my 280AI, just makes sense to me for what I'm looking for.

I asked some more details about this ".30 PRC." I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

I figured, even if it were the same dimensions as a .300 RCM, using the naming convention that implies a lineage from the 6.5 Creedmoor to the 6.5 PRC is good marketing. I'm still waiting for the evolution to the .30 Creedmoor, aka .30 T/C!

I agree with you, Michael, that the 7mm is the way to go for hunters. I built a 6.5x55mm AI as my first project in class a number of years ago, but that was because of all the 6.5 hype on here and already having the right barrel sitting around. The wider variety of bullet weights available in 7mm is hard to argue with. I love hunting with my .280, and got it with the intention of rebarrelling to the then-commercially new .280 AI, but it's really pleasant to shoot as is, and I have a couple 7mm Rem Mags that I'm not getting rid of. I'd love to be a one rifle hunter and master that one, but there are just too many fun calibers to tinker with!

So the guy with the rifle referred to is as a ".30 PRC," but says it is a longer case than a 6.5 PRC, and a true long action cartridge. It is a barrel for his AI rifle he was given to try. My buddy thought he remembered hearing the guy say something about pushing a 225gr bullet at 2900-3000fps. This could be just a big miscommunication, but I won't have any further information until next week, unfortunately.

You don't suppose they created a 30/375 do you? That would be the only current case that is a long action that might reach near 3000 with a 230 Berger. Not sure why they would call it a PRC though?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.