30 on 375 ruger case

Based on the drawing in post #97 in this thread,

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/26-nosler-125013/index14.html

We already know what all that there is to know about the 26 Nosler. Case volume wise, it sits right between the 300 Dakota and the 300 RUM. Brass is $2.64 per case for Nosler brass. That right there is a show stopper for me. If it was Lapua quality brass it would be worth it but not for Nosler brass. I haven't used any Nosler brass but all that I read about it says it is not very durable like Lapua or even Norma brass. Well sorted and needs little prep but on the soft side. In my experience with RP brass in the 300 RUM, I almost always loose 1 or 2 cases when pressure testing a bullet/powder combo looking for the upper limit and from what I hear, Nosler is no more durable than RP. My experience with Norma brass in the 300 WSM is quite different and it has held up much better under the upper end (over max) pressures without loosing a case and hardly stretching a primer pocket.

Based on my experiences with the 300 RUM, brass is a big issue with me in these larger magnum calibers. Until Norma or some other manufacturer come out with more reasonably priced brass that has some good durability the 26 Nosler is not a consideration for me. I am just not going to pay Lapua prices for brass unless the brass has Lapua quality and toughness.
For a high volume shooter the cost of components is certainly a consideration.

I've gotten good performance out of Nosler brass in both the 7mm Rem and 7mm STW as well as the .264. I haven't shot the 300 Rum enough to really comment.

I'm not a high volume shooter any more with any of my magnums, that's why I have the .204, .260, .220 Swift and especially the AR's in 5.56.

With the magnums, I find something that works, sight them in, and shoot coyotes and game with them these days so paying a little extra for brass won't bite me too hard.

I can say this though, in my experience over the last 30 years Norma Brass is excellent.

I'm counting on the 26 Nosler to gain enough of the market share with 6.5 shooters for others companies to start producing ammo and brass for it over the next few years and competition will then drive the price down. If it doesn't I'll be very surprised but it won't bite me in the wallet too bad because I won't be shooting it more than maybe a hundred or so rounds a year once I get things dialed in.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.