30 Nosler vs 300WM vs 300PRC

Im simply asking how they get those numbers when i run a long throat and dont see them rich..in the 10 ive done? Am i doing something wrong?
See Sherman Bashing!
Im done with this thread. I didn't post any names? You can call me if you like. Others can call too.

Last edited:
All I'm gonne say is ....... "Case capacity is King" you cannot dispute that fact ...... we can create magical (in theory) fun toys that delight and bring happiness to some & should delight us all , but more often than not .... they DON't in the end ..... simply because "NOT Enough Muscle" to impress those who desire power ...

and POWER rules ....

All I'm gonne say is ....... "Case capacity is King" you cannot dispute that fact ...... we can create magical (in theory) fun toys that delight and bring happiness to some & should delight us all , but more often than not .... they DON't in the end ..... simply because "NOT Enough Muscle" to impress those who desire power ...

and POWER rules ....
Yep!

and POWER rules ....
Agreed 100% just like the old adage "There is no replacement for displacement". Just because we can make a smaller engine do something doesn't make it smart.

You sir are the king of pushing for the next best thing and have surely been there done thst.

Agreed 100% just like the old adage "There is no replacement for displacement". Just because we can make a smaller engine do something doesn't make it smart.
Ha, except there is. And it's called volumetric efficiency. Usually via forced induction, but quite a few things have absolutely replaced displacement over the years. That's how little naturally aspirated 4 bangers put out more horsepower and last twice as long as the big v8's of 40 years ago.
But, forced induction is quite literally a replacement for displacement. It's more efficient with the energy(fuel) available to.

You sir are the king of pushing for the next best thing and have surely been there done thst.
Yep, and he's got some bad arse wildcats and names to go with them.

Ha, except there is. And it's called volumetric efficiency. Usually via forced induction, but quite a few things have absolutely replaced displacement over the years. That's how little naturally aspirated 4 bangers put out more horsepower and last twice as long as the big v8's of 40 years ago.
But, forced induction is quite literally a replacement for displacement. It's more efficient with the energy(fuel) available to.
Pretty much and apples to oranges comparison there as almost all of those new technologies covered by forced induction could in theory be applied to the older bigger engines to make equal gains in horsepower and efficiency. That they haven't due to cost and customer demand doesn't mean they can't.

It's been proven time and again that the 300 Win set up with a long coal, proper twist and proper throat can do anything a prc can and will do it within probably 50 fps of the PRC.

And it's absolutely asinine to me that people are advocating the 300 Sherman being run at 30 Nosler and even 300 Norma speeds despite several grains less powder capacity.

The Sherman line is well known to be slightly modified PRC cases that to get the claimed velocities have to be operating at a pressure above the levels at which professional engineers and ballistic technicians designed it to run safely. Sure every case has a margin of safety built into its pressure spec but blindly operating within that range with no clear idea of where you are at is potentially dangerous.

And to advocate others doing the same in the absence of solid pressure testing is irresponsible in my eyes as a new reloader that only knows the classic pressure signs is going to be way over safe pressure by the time ADG or Lapua brass shows an extractor mark or swipe.

Last edited:
Yep, and he's got some bad arse wildcats and names to go with them.
And he thoroughly tests his designs to ensure they are safe before putting them out to the public and doesn't base his recommended max loads solely on extractor marks, case head swipes or loose primer pockets in alpha class brass.

Like I've said time and again I like the theories behind Rich's designs and they certainly appear to have some great benefits for case and throat life but pushing the parent brass blindly into the safety margins to make those speeds is irresponsible to my eyes.

And again I've owned 3 Sherman's prior so I'm not just bashing a product I have never used.

Not much of a dog in this, but we have built a few Model 70's, using SAAMI spec'ed reamers with 3.625" mag boxes and haven't ever had a dog. We have used 1-8 Kriegers, usually 24-25". All of them have been very easy to work with, allowing bullets like the 210 ABLR's and 200 Accubonds to touch the lands from the 3.6 mag box which in turn has made finding accurate nodes pretty easy for me. Speeds for the 200 and 210's have been easily in the 2950-3000 range. We do use ADG brass for the guns, but they are about as easy it gets in my opinion. I love the RUM, a close buddy just built the same blueprint, but in a 30 Nosler. The Nosler is a bit faster, but has turned out to be just as easy, also using ADG brass. My advice to fella building an easy rifle he can use for anything is a 300 Win Mag, 1-8 barrel of their choice and make sure it has the mag space for the bullets they wanna use. Usually they end up being bored, since load work is done quick and they just have to shoot them to practice or gather data with them.

Does the 300 PRC maintain that big advantage over a 300wm if he has the WM throated for the heavier bullets?
No, not the "big" advantage. However, for the heavier bullets, a faster twist than the 300wm's 1:10" is needed for stability. Then the edge would change to slight via the case's volume in reloading

Nothing beats a RUM except for a Warbird... Remington did it right with the RUM lineup.

But a WM is the next best choice all day everyday.
Both the RUM and SAUM are A+ developments from Remington. But again, Remington dropped the bullet (or ball 🏀) when it came to marketing.