30 Nosler vs 300WM vs 300PRC

Interesting... my RUM does 3250 ave on the button with the 180 TTSX, 3550-60 with the 150's. Things that make you go hmmmmm?
The figures I quoted are from Barnes factory ammo.
I have only just received a set of dies yesterday.
I have seen 3400fps with 180's and over 3200fps with 200g pills using handloads, so that's what I'll be aiming for.
Once I get the Lee dies sorted, I will be in business. I hate their lock rings, so in the process of changing them out.

Cheers.

Love my 30SM. 245's@3000-3100 depending on barrel length with ADG. 250's at 3050 even in Lapua brass, 5 firings in and still good.
Sooooo... the 5 i have shot andloaded for must A) have really slow barrels and B) must have a different pressure curve cus a norma ai in a 26 inch barrel 3045 with a 245 is about max maybe a little more... am i missing something ?? Ive never got a 30sm with 230s to shoot accurately past 2970ish.. and can barely hit 3100 with 570 if im lucky to.. but i wouldnt want too as that case isnt made flr those types of pressures. Your gojng to blow something up.. or your chono is lying to you

Kasey

I should add I also have a very nice semi custom 300 win mag. It's shoots the hammer 181's out past 1k just fine with a 10 twist. 26" barrel. Love it just find myself grabbing my 30 am every time.
As stated above. Er Shaw will do a rifle on n 300 win mag in a twist you desire and for a good price. I have several that were given as gifts and they all shot very well. Nice rilfes and they had 20 percent off recently. I would have bought another but funds are low with new house and new car coming.

I was contemplating the same thing. I had ruled out the PRC because, well Hornady but I found a great article on long range only about this. Bottom line the 300WM left nothing on the table to the Nosler (and presumably PRC) in terms of performance when loaded equally.

A long throated Nosler sounds like a great plan but it costs at least twice as much as the WM or PRC. Brass alone runs $2 each on the low end.

Yes, 2900' is probably a pretty good place to run it with a 26" barrel and a 250. I can run 3050 no problem, with my 28", but I have a great node right at 3000' with the 245, and brass life is good there.
After I got home last night, I measured my barrel and checked my notebook and it's actually a 24 inch barrel, and I'm getting 2980 with the 250 ATips with just a tiny bit of space left in the ADG case, I love the idea of 3000 but only 20fps short and such a nice node with tight groups, it doesn't make sense to go further. Very similar to Rich's numbers with the 245's (which I wanted to try but could get any and the 250 ATips were available—maybe next time Berger 😉)

A standard mag is neither here nor there when you CAN build a RUM to seat bullets in a 4" mag, if your Nosler can match that, then I need some of your magic.
I will stand by my statement that the PRC is no better than a 300WM in a 3.7" mag box.

Cheers.
Magnum what type of numbers do you get out of a 300 RUM with a Wyatt's box? I have a buddy with a RUM and a 3.6 box and boy it's limited. I would be curious how much extra fps you get, maybe I will talk him into doing some work on his gun

After I got home last night, I measured my barrel and checked my notebook and it's actually a 24 inch barrel, and I'm getting 2980 with the 250 ATips with just a tiny bit of space left in the ADG case, I love the idea of 3000 but only 20fps short and such a nice node with tight groups, it doesn't make sense to go further. Very similar to Rich's numbers with the 245's (which I wanted to try but could get any and the 250 ATips were available—maybe next time Berger 😉)
Your chrono is fast lol

Magnum what type of numbers do you get out of a 300 RUM with a Wyatt's box? I have a buddy with a RUM and a 3.6 box and boy it's limited. I would be curious how much extra fps you get, maybe I will talk him into doing some work on his gun
Haven't had the opportunity to test any handloads as yet, just factory ammo. I only received a set of dies on Monday.
When I get out next, I will be working up some loads with a few bullets.
So I will post them at some point.
When I ran the 4" box and the +P chamber in my Edge after all the hassles I had going with a turn neck chamber, the increase was slight in velocity, as I was loading the 300g OTM to 3.9" I think and it gained around 40fps over the previous chamber.
The 300 will be different, as it has long freebore already as a factory chamber, we'll see.

Cheers.

Here at our local shop, through this past year you couldn't find any 300wm loaded ammo or brass (bought up as soon as it showed up), but 300 Prc came in periodically. I have owned two 300WM and sold them both. Now I have a 30 Sherman. Was wanting a 300 PRC but couldn't get a reamer. I can shoot 212 eldx factory 300 PRC ammo at 3030 feet per second and the fire formed brass reloaded with n570 and 250 ATips shoot at 2900. Those fly so good WAY out there. I'm sure if I loaded 210-230 in the Sherman it could push them significantly over 3000 fps.

That's some pretty good velocities with factory ammo. Most I ever got with Hornady 212gn ELDX factory ammo with 26" barrel was 2906 and averaged 2870.

Last edited:
As is to be expected when asked why you refuse to pressure test your rounds to ensure your loads are actually safe you continually make straw man arguments that don't address what is asked and point to others doing the same as your proof.

Hell there are probably 15-20 guys here myself included that built rifles in your rounds, with your spec'd reamers and with your brass and never got anywhere near what you claim without pressure.

The fact you openly admit Hornady brass that is rated safe for saami pressures in the 300 prc won't hold up to your loads after 4-5 cycles clearly points that your way over pressure but your to blind to see or admit it.

I've run Hornady brass with book loads well over 10-12 cycles in saami rounds without issue. If your losing primer pockets in 5 loads your clearly too hot.

Pressure testing at an independent lab is likely not that expensive yet you refuse to do so while profiting off your reamers and rounds to me shows how little you care about your clients safety and tells me all I need to know about you sir.
hornady brass didn't hold up in my 300 prc with hornady published loads. how could that be i fire ones and the primers are just about able to be seated with a finger.