30 Nosler vs 300WM vs 300PRC

With a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol, my fireformed RUM brass has 114g of that mix.
I don't see it getting much over 3000fps with a 245g, even with the 4" box and longer seating depth. The 215g should surpass 3100fps with ease.
This is the way I have gone with all of my RUM based builds. My Edge was a great shooter, but it just wasn't fast enough.
The 300 RUM I have is peculiar, it gets an average of 3385fps with 165g TTSX, but the 180g TTSX only got 3080fps, supposed to be 3250fps.
If you can get 3000fps from a 245g in a SAUM based cartridge, then I'm gonna give this all up.
2 weekends ago, I ran my fireformed Winchester brass with 180g Accubonds and 81g of RE25, WLRM primers over the chrono. Average velocity was 3240fps, the barrel has just sped up, so I was expecting an increase, it went from 3160fps average.
Primers were a little flatter than normal, however, the same brass, pills and primer with H1000 showed a 40fps increase….does anyone else find this fascinating?

Cheers.
What is the advantage of the 50/50 h2o and isopropyl alcohol mix?

You guessed it...can't decide what my next .30 cal magnum should be. Trying to consider everything as a whole as far as velocity, energy, brass availability, reloading sensitivity, etc. I'm also tossing around other 30 magnums but I keep coming back to these three. Any recommendations or thoughts?
Same old, same old first question needs to be answered. What is your application/expectations??? You've asked for a solution to your ill defined can of worms. Been there, done that countless times on this and numerous other forums. Just pick a thread, any thread and you'll have your answer without initial clear definition. Without expansion of that input, any response is a meaningless "Hail Mary" shot in the dark. Hunting .....North America or World wide/sea level/high angle mountain/thin skinned or beasty.....competition.....PRS, bench style.....range.....100-600/1000/1mi/Kof2Mi......stationery or humping it......

What is the advantage of the 50/50 h2o and isopropyl alcohol mix?
It reduces the surface tension to virtually zero so that a meniscus doesn't form on top of the water mix and there are less chance for bubbles clinging to the inside of the case.
It is more accurate, you can also add a tiny drop of detergent to just water, but this is difficult to get out of the case without tumbling again.

Cheers.

Same old, same old first question needs to be answered. What is your application/expectations??? You've asked for a solution to your ill defined can of worms. Been there, done that countless times on this and numerous other forums. Just pick a thread, any thread and you'll have your answer without initial clear definition. Without expansion of that input, any response is a meaningless "Hail Mary" shot in the dark. Hunting .....North America or World wide/sea level/high angle mountain/thin skinned or beasty.....competition.....PRS, bench style.....range.....100-600/1000/1mi/Kof2Mi......stationery or humping it......
He did lay out some criteria. 800 yard elk gun, 1000+ yard fun shooter. Components availability being a factor.

300NMI or 300 Lapua Improved are better options, if not a 300 RUM trumps the other 3. I have several 300WM rifles and a RUM.
The 300WM really does it all, BUT if you want more oomph, then only the Nosler or RUM are the answer when it all boils down to on game performance. The PRC has no real advantage over the WM.

Cheers.
I have deep experience and have owned and currently own and run a RUM, the PRC and the Nosler. In this particular case the Nosler is my choice. Why? It handles longer bullets in a standard mag, it is more efficient than the RUM and gives similar FPS and ballistic performance, and outclasses the PRC in the same areas.

I'm running 245 bergers @2940 in my factory 26" 300prc at bergers suggested max charge with n570 with ADG brass. It's extremely accurate with this combination and pretty tough to beat without modifying. I might rebarrel with the Sherman mag but not having any problems with the prc so hard to say.
Exactly! If a std PRC will run 2940, its no surprise a Sherman will run 3000'+
I was able to get only 4-5 firings on Hornady PRC brass, so ADG is definitely better!

Last edited:
A friend of mine that has passed. He got 3400fps with a 165gr Nosler ballistic tips from a Ruger #1 in early 2000. I don't have what he was loading at the time. I couldn't match that velocity with my 308 N.M. rifle with a 26" barrel. I get 3320fps from that rifle. Load is Win Brass, Fed, 210 primers, H4350SC with 75,5 gr of powder, and 165gr Nosler Ballistic tips. Primer are flat, but not created, I switch from FL sizing to neck sizing using a 300WM neck sizing die. It only sizing the neck about half way. Stop the case separation at the base. I would get about 10 to 12 firing from the case before loosing the primer pocket. Grouping were under 1/2" at 100yds. Weather doesn't effect that load very much. I took down several elk with that load. I use that load from -20 to 100+ temp. At that time I didn't have the knowledge I do now. I haven't gone back to test the effects of the temp with that load either. The load work great in my rifle.

When "I" consider what caliber/chambering to consider, it depends on my current inventory (most of the time) and for what purpose. Any chambering on your list will serve you well up to 1KY from antelope to elk size game; no need to complicate it unnecessarily - this is NOT going to be your last scenario. Load it with 215 Berger, and you're golden. It boils down to your personal preference. BTW, I have two .300 WSMs, three .300 WMs (remains my go-to chambering), and .30 LARA. Good luck!

View attachment 317256
(.300 WM, .300 WBTY, and .30 LARA)
pleading ignorance here. thought i was aware of all the variants, but 30 LARA eludes me. please help me out. thanks in advance. allan

My priorities are namely-
Enough downrange velocity/energy for elk up to 800 yds
Capability of repeatable shooting for fun at 1k+ yds
Availability of all reloading components to crank out more than enough rounds than I have time to shoot.
The last one is becoming more important these days unfortunately.
First and foremost this will be my new long range elk gun. I have no desire or need (yet) to be able to take an elk at 1k+ yds.
Sounds like a 6 creed would fit the perimeters above!!! I love my 6's with the 115 dtac.

With a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol, my fireformed RUM brass has 114g of that mix.
I don't see it getting much over 3000fps with a 245g, even with the 4" box and longer seating depth. The 215g should surpass 3100fps with ease.
This is the way I have gone with all of my RUM based builds. My Edge was a great shooter, but it just wasn't fast enough.
The 300 RUM I have is peculiar, it gets an average of 3385fps with 165g TTSX, but the 180g TTSX only got 3080fps, supposed to be 3250fps.
If you can get 3000fps from a 245g in a SAUM based cartridge, then I'm gonna give this all up.
2 weekends ago, I ran my fireformed Winchester brass with 180g Accubonds and 81g of RE25, WLRM primers over the chrono. Average velocity was 3240fps, the barrel has just sped up, so I was expecting an increase, it went from 3160fps average.
Primers were a little flatter than normal, however, the same brass, pills and primer with H1000 showed a 40fps increase….does anyone else find this fascinating?

Cheers.
getting 3260 with 165 ttsx in my 300wsm. seems that 125 fps isnt a big reward for the rum. having said this i have 2 300 rum's, a 7 and 375 and 416 rum as well.

Recent Posts