30 Nosler vs 300WM vs 300PRC

300 RUM is my only 30. Accurate factory Remington 180gr ammo at almost 3400fps. Handloaded with Retumbo or LRT and 208 ELDM or 210 Berger is even more awesomeness. Put together a 225ELDM load to test.

I had the same debate recently and decided on the 300 NMI as the Lapua bolt face wasn't an issue since it was a new rifle and 230's at an easy 3000 fps was my goal.

If I was using a standard magnum action I already had it's hard to beat the 30-28 Nosler. If one was building a rifle I would seriously consider a properly throated 300 WM which gives up virtually nothing to the 300 prc or Nosler though in factory rifles the PRC does have some well known advantages for VLD bullets.
^^^^^^^^nailed it

The 30-28 and 30 Nosler have essentially the same node with the 215. 3070-3100 depending on barrel and you have atleast .200 freebore and ADG brass, big difference is you dont have to run the 30-28 as near as hard.
You won't get close to the #'s in a 300WM with the same length barrel.

Of your three options, I'd say the 300PRC and 30 Nosler as both have a big advantage over the 300 win mag with the heavier vld bullets. Banging steel at 1,000 yards with my 300PRC gives me big time confidence in shooting an elk at 600+ yards.

You guessed it...can't decide what my next .30 cal magnum should be. Trying to consider everything as a whole as far as velocity, energy, brass availability, reloading sensitivity, etc. I'm also tossing around other 30 magnums but I keep coming back to these three. Any recommendations or thoughts?
.300 Dakota...

But since you can't consistently get brass anymore, I vote the .30 Nosler. You won't find brass available for the .300 PRC for probably the next decade or more thanks to hoarders and military contracts. Hornady insists they don't use civilian production components for military contracts, but there is only a limited amount of resources, so exactly how do they NOT use resources for the civilian market to fill the military orders??

The .30 Nosler is most nearly like the .300 Dakota in geometry and capacity of the 3 mentioned. The Dakota is a wickedly accurate cartridge, and I always said Mr. Don Allen got it right when he designed the Dakota line. He was lightyears ahead of his time. Seems the only way to get a decent supply of anything (if you call it decent) is to invent a new cartridge and have them put out an initial offering of components and ammo for it. Once it hits the shelf as a rifle, the accessories are gone. Once we have about 50 different .300 caliber magnum cartridges, maybe there will be ammo and/or brass for one of them somewhere. It's too darn complicated just to focus production on the 4 or 5 we already have, so we keep inventing cartridges. If that's what makes the market tick, then submit your wildcat designs en masse to the manufacturers right away!

Of your three options, I'd say the 300PRC and 30 Nosler as both have a big advantage over the 300 win mag with the heavier vld bullets. Banging steel at 1,000 yards with my 300PRC gives me big time confidence in shooting an elk at 600+ yards.
Does the 300 PRC maintain that big advantage over a 300wm if he has the WM throated for the heavier bullets?

I'm running 245 bergers @2940 in my factory 26" 300prc at bergers suggested max charge with n570 with ADG brass. It's extremely accurate with this combination and pretty tough to beat without modifying. I might rebarrel with the Sherman mag but not having any problems with the prc so hard to say.

D96A2492-77C1-4DCB-8023-DF486EE05DAA.jpeg

Always a fun debate and discussion.

I have a 300 win mag and a 300 RUM. Here's the loads I've landed on, both several grains under max and in 26" barrels:

300 wm - 75.8gr of RL26, 215gr berger hybrid, nosler brass, CCI 250 primer @ 2,970 fps
300 RUM - 91.5gr of Retumbo, 210gr berger vld, nosler brass, 215m primer @ 3,122 fps

- the RUM is much flatter shooting with slightly more recoil to me. Not enough to make a difference to me to steer you away from it.

I shoot the win mag more, because I have more brass, I shoot it suppressed, my load is 16 grains less of powder per trigger pull, and I'm less worried about barrel life.

My shooting buddy has the PRC and shoots factory ammo out of it, that is almost identical to my win mag load in drops with the 212gr eldx. He had a heck of a time finding factory ammo over the last year, so much that he didn't even want to shoot it.

If I was starting over today, I would be looking at available components - brass, powder, etc to help make the decision. I'd probably look hard at the 30 Nosler, from what I know about it from other shooting buddies, it's very easy to tune, no big initial brass prep needed, great brass options with Peterson, Norma, etc.

All of them are great options though!