30 nosler build

westcoasthunter

So I'm building a 30 Nosler this rifle will be mostly for hunting elk on down to deer. And yotes if I see one. Building it around the berger 215 . I have a Manner EH-5A stock ordering a kelbly tac action, nightforce 5.5x22 scope , but I keep going back and. Forth between a brux #5 contour or a rem varmint contour? Both but have the interrupted flutes and 26-27" long. What would you guys recommend?

I think 3b/5 contour with a lightweight stock is the perfect weight hunting rifle. I have multiple builds with 3b/5 and manners eh1's. I'm currently building 2 guns for friends with the same setup. I would avoid the flutes unless you go with the rem varmint. I had a 6.5x284 with a rem varmint that I sold because i didn't like the balance, felt way too front heavy for a hunting rifle. Good luck with the build.

The brux #5 may not get you a 5/8 X 24 thread pitch for your future suppressor so go with rem varmint and you can thank me later.

edit: you need .75 for that thread pitch, some will let you go to .70 but it is a little thin.

If you need a .750" muzzle to use for a silencer then order the barrel as a #5 with a .750" muzzle. Brux will do that.

I have a #4 on a 270wsm I built. But I was thinking a #5 would be a good all around set up that won't be to front heavy where I can still shoot off hand well. When that needs to happen

My smith was able to do 5/8x24 on a bartlein #3 cut down to 24"
He said he would not be able to trim the brake down to barrel contour but could blend it in. I felt that was worth it to have 5/8 threads.

I was going to have it fluted but cut and chambered the #3 was at 3.56 lbs with a 6.5 bore. I felt that would put my build right at 7.5-7.75 lbs before scope and rings which is an ideal weight for me.

My next rifle will be a 300 PRC, since that one will finish at 26" I went with a 3B so I could get 5/8 threads.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.