30 Nosler and 300 Weatherby

mountainman56

So....while pondering the advantages of the 30 Nosler over longer cartridges with the same capacity I've come across some confusing (for me anyway) load data. Considering their nearly identical capacity I find, that in the new Nosler reloading guide the max load for 300 Wby is substantially higher than 30 Nosler, usually for very similar velocity. For example with 200 grain bullets max load of RL-25 in the Wby is 85 grains for 3008 fps while max load for the Nosler is 78 grains for 3012 fps. I understand the claims for more efficiency in the shorter fatter cartridge but 7 grains difference in practically identical case capacity seems extreme to me. Some enlightenment would be much appreciated.

300 win, 300 weatherby and 30 nosler are all very similar, the biggest difference is the belted case and whether that floats your boat or not. I have a pretty good load for my 30 nosler and switching that up with the weatherby suggest 5 fps faster with the weatherby. All three of them will get it done. quick load said the 30 Nosler had 2% more capacity with my measured H20 volume.

So....while pondering the advantages of the 30 Nosler over longer cartridges with the same capacity I've come across some confusing (for me anyway) load data. Considering their nearly identical capacity I find, that in the new Nosler reloading guide the max load for 300 Wby is substantially higher than 30 Nosler, usually for very similar velocity. For example with 200 grain bullets max load of RL-25 in the Wby is 85 grains for 3008 fps while max load for the Nosler is 78 grains for 3012 fps. I understand the claims for more efficiency in the shorter fatter cartridge but 7 grains difference in practically identical case capacity seems extreme to me. Some enlightenment would be much appreciated.
The 300bee has about 0.400" freebore and it takes more powder to create pressure, I do believe that fireformed 300bee has 102gr capacity and formed nosler brand 30 nosler brass has 99. If you get ADG/gunwerks brass it has over 100gr capacity, and it's good stuff. I have a 30 nosler and love it, I can push 215s @ 3050 w/ H1000 or @ 3150 w/ N570. My freebore is 225 to keep the bearing surface in the neck. The 300bee was king on standard Magnum 30 cals in its day, but I think the 30 nosler is better just due to dimensions, no belt, and higher quality brass. The 300wm, 30 nosler, 300prc and 300bee are all. Within 150fps of one another with equal freebore and same powders. Pick ur poison and go shoot!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.