30 nawakwa project

ewallace

I have been thinking about building a stock for a Sp to shoot heavy gun 1000 yard bench rest competition and long range hunting for a couple years and now it is a reality. The stock is 6" wide in the front and 2 1/2" wide in the rear to track better. I am going to build a rail system out of steel so it will get the over all weight of the SP to over 40 pounds. It is sitting at 17 pounds as I shot it today that is what a Light gun can be for 1000 Yard BR. The chamber is my 30 Nawakwa on a custom action 1.450 20" Broughton 10 twist 5C barrel. I am planning on making a LG version also 3" wide in front and v shape or 3" in the rear. I finished the stock except for paint yesterday and piller bedded the action last night. I loaded up some 210g SMK this morning with 82g of H 1000 that chronographs at just over 2900 fps and went out to shoot it to see how it would work and take some video footage and it is shooting good.

P1000700.jpg

here is the video

This is the first shot with the HG

first shot with the HG stock 30 nawakwa

This is a 3 shot string at 500 yards

500 yard

That's some good shooting. I've never shot a rail gun. Looks like it'd be fun.

I've never heard of a 30 Nawakwa. Who's baby is this? Where did the name come from?

That's some good shooting. I've never shot a rail gun. Looks like it'd be fun.

I've never heard of a 30 Nawakwa. Who's baby is this? Where did the name come from?

Not a really a rail gun It is a specialty pistil like a XP 100
The 30 Nawakwa is a cartage I came up with when shooting 1000 yard and 1 mile bench rest I wanted a cartage that would shoot a 210g bullet at around 3050FPS and be short and fat so I desined the reamer around the 338 lapua and it has been a very good cartridge shooting under 4" quit often at 1000 yards. I have a shop and chambered barrels and also desined stock and make them.

Not a really a rail gun It is a specialty pistil like a XP 100
The 30 Nawakwa is a cartage I came up with when shooting 1000 yard and 1 mile bench rest I wanted a cartage that would shoot a 210g bullet at around 3050FPS and be short and fat so I desined the reamer around the 338 lapua and it has been a very good cartridge shooting under 4" quit often at 1000 yards. I have a shop and chambered barrels and also desined stock and make them.

That should be a close spec to the 300 Jazz isn't it?

Tank

I hope I'm not asking too many questions, but that's quite a bit shorter that the 338 Lapua Imp. How many steps does it take to bump the shoulder back that far and neck it down to .308?
Pretty interesting project.

I hope I'm not asking too many questions, but that's quite a bit shorter that the 338 Lapua Imp. How many steps does it take to bump the shoulder back that far and neck it down to .308?
Pretty interesting project.

I use a 338 lapua bushing die that I cut .250 off the mouth I take out the bushing and primer remover stem and push the shoulder back. Then I cut the case to 2.550 after cutting to length in 2 steps I size the necks to 30 cal neck turn and cut to length. Load with a light load and fire form.

That should be a close spec to the 300 Jazz isn't it?

Tank

I destined the 30 Nawakwa around 5 years ago the 300 jazz uses the new 338 Norma brass and you may be able to use the Norma brass for my 30 Nawakwa but the lapua brass is very good brass and I have a set of 338 laupa brass that has 19 firings on them I have not retired them yet.

I destined the 30 Nawakwa around 5 years ago the 300 jazz uses the new 338 Norma brass and you may be able to use the Norma brass for my 30 Nawakwa but the lapua brass is very good brass and I have a set of 338 laupa brass that has 19 firings on them I have not retired them yet.

I knew the Jazz used the Norma, but your specs sounded about the same. Makes sense to use Norma brass though. I know it is some good stuff.

Tank

I should get a 5pc of the 338 norma brass and give it a try. I could bring my loading stuff the the rainge and see how many times it could be loaded. The norma brass would be less work If it would hold up like the Lapua.

I should get a 5pc of the 338 norma brass and give it a try. I could bring my loading stuff the the rainge and see how many times it could be loaded. The norma brass would be less work If it would hold up like the Lapua.

Well the fat typing fingers and slow mind strike again!!!:D I meant to say Lapua brass. I do own Norma in my .308 Winny and it works just fine. You just can't over pressure it to much.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.