30 Gr Nagel 17cal

Leave me alone

Has anyone had any experiance shooting the 30gr Nagel out of there 17 Remington or 17 Remington Fireball on Coyotes or Bobcats etc..............I have 400 and they shoot super out of my 17 Remington Im using 26.0 gr of Accurate 2700 and Norma brass and Remington 7 1/2 Primers. CZ 527

No experience with the 30 grain Nagel.
I've shot the 25 grain Hornady HP for years with 27.0 grains W-760, Remington 7.5 primers and Remington brass.
Coyotes tip right over, bobcats, too.

The hide damage on coyotes has been negligible. I wait until I have a broadside rib cage shot and shoot for the lungs. I've watched a couple through the scope at impact swell up like a volleyball and tip over.
Of the few bobcats I've shot with it, one hide got deducted a bit because it was sewn after a shoulder hit.
I haven't chronographed the load. I'm guessing 3900 FPS.
I'll be getting all my stuff, including Magnetospeed v3, out of storage next month when I close on a new house. I'll find the velocity then and update.

Thanks ..................my coyotes last year averaged $80 High was $114 and low was $58 had several @$90 Cats averaged $400 except for one that went $100 almost no white on the belly

Nagel 30s are outstanding! They kill well to extended ranges as long as you keep the velocity up.I shoot the 30Gr.-000 hp from a 9T Shilen @4050 and I've hammered quite a few to 400 yd and a bit further. Hide damage is.minimal and as long as the bullet hits above the.belt it's lights out. Velocity is key to terminal effect with the .17 caliber on coyotes.
I shoot the wildcat .17 Predator with Ramshot Big Game but have found the .17 Remington with VVN540 will.turn in remarkable results as well. Velocity wise I think 3800+ is essential for desired effect.

I have been shoot Chans 25g and 30gr NT000 Bullets out of my .17 Remington for quite some time.
His bullets are great.
With the 25gr bulllets I am getting 3950 -4025 fps, Accuracy is great.
His 30gr Bullets in my rifle are superb, accuracy for 4 shots is way less than 1/4", I do not have my notes in front of me but if memory serves me right I am getting 3700 fps before my case expansion told me t stop with the powder I was using.
If anyone wants information give Chan a call, he is a great guy and will treat you right! Call 208-267-2860.

Coyote master, can you expand on the VVN540 in the 17 Rem? I have shot both of Chan's bullets, but have stayed with the 25 grain as it keeps my speed up around 4000.

Coyote master, can you expand on the VVN540 in the 17 Rem? I have shot both of Chan's bullets, but have stayed with the 25 grain as it keeps my speed up around 4000.
Need to be careful with load duplication with the .17!!
I'm a little.reluctant to list my load as a primer.or case.change can cause a.catastrophe. I used WW brass in my first Predator brl. but chose another manufacturer in my second which which weighed 2 gr. heavier and had pressure problems so be aware.
VAN 540 is an excellent powder for cold weather performance and I use it exclusively for.fireforming brass for the Pred.and works great for .17 with 30 gr. In Remington .17 brass.

DO NOT TAKE CHANCES WITH STARTING LOADS IN THE .17
You might try a starting load around 20.0 and work up and be aware what works.for the .25 will be too hot for the 30 gr. Bullet. WW brass is much lighter than Starline but the.!atter is much more consistent in weight. Remington brass has been comparable to WW in my experience. Your first indication of high pressure may be primer perforation so ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!

Last edited:
I agree with coyotemaster about the starting loads for the .17. A powder, primer, case and bullet may work for one gun and be dangerous in another gun. If someone tries to use the same load that others have worked up to and change any one of the components it can get interesting quick. I had my 17Tactical built around the 30 Golds back when Todd was making the bullets. I started with the load data that was published back then and got over pressured loads with a couple starting loads I tried. It took me a while to get a good dependable load worked up.

I'm just finalizing load development with the 30gr Nagel in a 17-223 Improved 24" Lija 1-9: with Benchmark and Rem 7.5 primer. Getting 4000 fps. Just need to complete the seating depth test.

I use Benchmark in my 20-223 Improved as well.

For the 17, and Benchmark, start at 23gr and work up in .02gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.