.30 Gibbs

philip Armour

Can anyone help me find ammo or someone who can reload .30 Gibbs. I just bought one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen in this caliber. I bought it knowing it would be a problem, but the beauty of the gun was just too great. I believe it is a custom FN made in Belgium. Any help whatsoever would be great. Thanks

It's not rocket science to reload for it.
Qual Cartridge makes cases from time to time and the 30-06 Basic can be formed into it.
Most of us will not reload for someone else due to liability issues.
I THINK (have never had a Gibbs) that you could fireform cases using the Zeglin method and then load them with a set of 30 Gibbs dies.

;)

Qual Cartridge makes cases from time to time and the 30-06 Basic can be formed into it.
I THINK (have never had a Gibbs) that you could fireform cases using the Zeglin method and then load them with a set of 30 Gibbs dies.
Can get brass at RCC Brass for $5.51 each with 50 minimum I think. I'm not a reloaded but might have to start.

Where do I get 30 Gibbs dies

Wolfe Publishing sells (or did sell) a pamphlet on Gibbs cartridges with loading data. The data is probably quite dated and should probably be approached with great caution, but it might provide a starting point.

Just look at it as a good excuse to start reloading. Or have it converted to a 300winmag. It's a great cartridge if you can reload. It's not hard to do either. Surely you have a friend that reloads. Get the dies and everything else is the same stuff. You just need to fireform your brass and then it's no different than loading any other cartridge. Or go the basic brass method and just size it down load and shoot. Have fun with it. That's what it's all about anyway.
Shep

I have been reloading and shooting Gibbs for 40 years, 240 Gibbs, and 270 Gibbs. I have used them for prairie dogs, antelope, whitetail, mule deer, elk, and moose. I have found that the 30-06 brass will be to short after fire forming in both cases.I use 280 remington brass because it is longer and has a thicker wall making it a longer lasting case. After fire forming I trim it to the proper length.
Lou

I just remembered another article by the late Bob Hagel, certainly one of the best of gunwriters, but many of his published loads are often pretty warm. He did a comprehensive piece years ago on the .30 Gibbs that was published in either RIFLE or HANDLOADER. I think it was republished in Wolfe Publishing's WILDCAT CARTRIDGES. As I recall, a good bit of data was included.

I just remembered another article by the late Bob Hagel, certainly one of the best of gunwriters, but many of his published loads are often pretty warm. He did a comprehensive piece years ago on the .30 Gibbs that was published in either RIFLE or HANDLOADER. I think it was republished in Wolfe Publishing's WILDCAT CARTRIDGES. As I recall, a good bit of data was included.
Thanks

Can anyone help me find ammo or someone who can reload .30 Gibbs. I just bought one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen in this caliber. I bought it knowing it would be a problem, but the beauty of the gun was just too great. I believe it is a custom FN made in Belgium. Any help whatsoever would be great. Thanks

How about a picture? Have fun! I wish I had a rifle chambered in that cartridge.

Recent Posts