30 Gibbs shoots

I have 25 Gibbs Redding dies and some brass if anyone is interested. Some 25 cal bullets as well.

What is the best way to fire form Brass. Can I just load a mild load in a 30-06 and shoot it? Then trim and size with 30 Gibbs dies? There is some Brass available from Midway and another source. However I want to learn to fire form.

Please enlighten me on the tricks you Guru's out there.

Larry

What is the best way to fire form Brass. Can I just load a mild load in a 30-06 and shoot it? Then trim and size with 30 Gibbs dies? There is some Brass available from Midway and another source. However I want to learn to fire form.

Larry
Thas

Larry
Hi Larry. You need to do one of two things or you are in danger of stretching the web and causing case head separation from too much head space.
(1) you can run a medium load behind a bullet that is firmly jammed into the lands.
(2) you can neck the case up to 338 and then neck back down to 308 to form a headspace bump on the neck (false shoulder) You can then load and fire a moderate load or use the c o w method if you don't want to waste bullets.
Fire forming a necked down 35 Whelen would also work.
You might consider using 270 or 280 brass also to end up with longer brass that better fits chamber length.
** Again, just firing an '06 case will likely ruin your brass!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.