.30 GIBBS is finally ready ...

(NOTE: Please disregard the un-mowed grass, I fertilized the day before and it is wet from 2-days of rain, ... mowing this weekend. That's my story and I am sticking with it. 😇 )

Factory Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 ($575) re-chambered to .30 Gibbs ($250, including muzzle threading bead blasting and installation of MB), 4-port Ross Schuler MB ($37), Warne high scope rings ($50), 20 MOA EGW rail ($70), and topped with USO TS-12 3-12 FFP ($325).

View attachment 192716
View attachment 192714
View attachment 192715
View attachment 192718
(This is my lightest scoped hunting rifle thus far, average 10-12 lbs).

I managed to make it to the range yesterday to do some fire-forming ...

View attachment 192717
(From L-R: .35 Whelen virgin brass, after re-sizing, fire-formed with 11g WSF (COW method), and after re-sizing).

Not sure what to load at this time but I have the following bullets readily available Berger 190/210/215/230, Hornady ELD-X 178/212/220 and 208 A-Max, I'm sure I got more just too lazy to dig through. Too many to list on powder choices. ;)

Now the load development fun begins ..................................................................................................................... I just hope, I find the time to do it.

ADDED:

Just for the record, I am in no way trying to convince anyone to build a .30 Gibbs or compare it to a similar improved version. My goal is to simply add to the knowledge base in the forum. If you do a quick search, there is hardly any information about it and they tend to die off. Hopefully, those that have .30 Gibbs that remained quiet will engage and share their experiences.

I was reading parts of your link to the 30gibbs. How did he get 385fps more speed with such a small amount of powder increase. What kind of speed increase did you see with yours?
Shep

You mentioned you may not stick with the 190s. What do you suspect at this point might be your preferred bullet for this project?

You mentioned you may not stick with the 190s. What do you suspect at this point might be your preferred bullet for this project?

My intent for this rifle is for a medium-range hunting rifle (<600Y) as I already have three .300 WM, two .300 WSM, and a full custom .30 LARA for the longer ranges. Maybe settle in the 180g and lighter class bullet later. Having said that, I just ordered Berger 205s to try. :)

My intent for this rifle is for a medium-range hunting rifle (<600Y) as I already have three .300 WM, two .300 WSM, and a full custom .30 LARA for the longer ranges. Maybe settle in the 180g and lighter class bullet later. Having said that, I just ordered Berger 205s to try. :)
Looking forward to your report on the 205s but wouldn't blame you on the 180 accubonds!

I've taken the time to read all of the posts on this without making a reply.
I used to work or help out, rather; a gunsmith just a few blocks away.
He had arthritis so bad he couldn't properly toque anything.
I was in jr. high school and was far past fastenated with guns and reloading.
He liked to pay me in trade and the one rifle I got from him came in the form of a .30 Gibbs.
It came with lots of fire formed brass and about 100 rnds of loaded ammo.
I think they were 150 gr Hornady old school bullets.
It was the most accurate rifle I ever owned. I ended up selling it because I didn't know how to order Wildcat diesback in the 80's.
I sold it to a fellow in north Idaho.
Wish I never parted with that gun.
Thanks FEENIX
Wish ya the best with this gun

Recent Posts