.30 Caliber Comparison

blackco

I am new to this board and I really enjoy reading/learning from all the people here.
I am in the planning stages of building an elk rifle. I have a Rem 700 action and I've settled on 30 cal. My question is; is there much "real/useable" difference out to the 600 yard area between the 300WinMag/300Weatherby/300Ultra/30-378?

Some of the info I have seen shows the traj. difference between the 300win and the 30-378 with a 180gr bullet is just over 2 inches at 600 yards. That doesn't seem like much to me.

I would really like some real world experience from the people doing who are out there.

Thanks for your input.

Anybody know where the Allen Mag list is ...Id show him something to look at it but cant find it.

Colby check out the Allen mags.....youll like em.

Look in general discussion post titled Kirby needs a web site.

Real world experiance, yes.

2" of differance at 600 yards isnt much at all. What would make a bigger differance is if they were both shooting the same bullets at both cartridges max potential. On average it will be more like 10" of differance. In all reality, 10" of drop at 600 yards doesnt amount to anything important. If you dont know the yardage, 10" isnt going to help you in any way shape or form. Where it makes a differance is wind drift and energy. 2150 vs 1681. Thats almost 500 FPE differance. That could make a big differance depending oon the game hunted. Then you get into other variables such as bullet construction ect...

There is nothing wrong with a 300 winnie. You just have to ask yourself what you want. Less bbl life and more energy or more bbl life and less energy.

If 600 yards is all your wanting to shoot, the 300 Win is more then enough to get the job done, even on elk. The only gain you get from bigger cartridges is more energy, and a little less wind drift. 300 RUM's barrel life is about 1000 rounds, a 300 WIn mag will last 2000. So almost double the barrel life. Its a matter of power vs. barrel life.

First off I would drop the 30-378 option off the list. Not really functional in the Rem 700 receivers. It can certainly be built on them, I have built many Rem 700 rifles using this size case but you need extended mag boxes and you should really only use chrome moly receivers because of the increased bolt thrust generated by the larger diameter cases.

The other three will be great choices. For 600 yard and under shooting the 300 RUM is really more then needed but I am never one to be afraid to have more power then you need.

With modern muzzle brakes, recoil is not an issue so do not let that interfere with your decision unless you are opposed to brakes.

If it were me and I was building the rifle I would go with the RUM but as mentioned, all three will get you what you want and perform extremely well in a top quality barrel.

As mentioned, you need to decide what energy levels you want on target. Also, you need to decide what bullet weights you want to shoot. In the 300 Win Mag I would work best with bullets up to 200 gr and keep impact velocities up there where you want them for good expansion.

The RUM will be able to take any bullet up to the 265 gr class and keep velocities up where they should be for expansion.

This is really not that critical because of your 600 yard range requirements.

Basically, pick one of the three, have it built by an accuracy minded big game rifle smith and you will be happy.

Again, personally I would choose the RUM from your selection but that is just me. but I would not feel undergunned pointing a 300 Win Mag at a bull elk at 600 yards either with the right rifle and load developed for such as task.

Kirby Allen(50)

Go with the 300rum shooting the 210 berger. even if six hundred yards is you're goal. the problem with this is that you start with a 600yd goal and after you make it then it becomes 700 then after that you're looking at 800. this is an ongoing never ending addiction. hince the reason for the ultra case. because then you will have alot more case to bring you farther than a win mag. but at six hundred yrds with a 300win there isn't anything short of big bears that i wouldn't shoot with it with good bullets.

[ QUOTE ]
I am new to this board and I really enjoy reading/learning from all the people here.
I am in the planning stages of building an elk rifle. I have a Rem 700 action and I've settled on 30 cal. My question is; is there much "real/useable" difference out to the 600 yard area between the 300WinMag/300Weatherby/300Ultra/30-378?

Some of the info I have seen shows the traj. difference between the 300win and the 30-378 with a 180gr bullet is just over 2 inches at 600 yards. That doesn't seem like much to me.

I would really like some real world experience from the people doing who are out there.

Thanks for your input.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello,

I am gong to throw my 2 cents in here. First understand that you have been bitten by the LR bug. Secondly, understand that this one purchase might not satisfy the bug and you may want a custom action based platform some time in the future. Keeping all this in mind, select a caliber that you can easily sell if you should by chance decide to jump big in the future for a full custom platform. With this criteria, I would select the 300Rum as it is more than enough for 600 yards as Kirby indicates and secondly, it will be easier to sell in the furture over any of the others listed in the caliber choices.

I have experience in this area of getting a bug and having to deal with it. In 1983 my wife gave me a Steyr SSG as a gift and that got the ball rolling on the accuracy bug.

Today, it has grown to four full custom benchrest competition guns, two fully custom rimfire guns and three Hall Express rifles with all the different bolt sizes (06, 300Winmag, 378 Wby) for the solid bottom ones and a multitude of barrels (read projects). Am I satisfied? Nope. I just ordered a new reamer yesterday for my Hall Express repeater. So in short, once you get bit, make sure your purchases are made understanding that you may want to get something in either caliber or platform in the future.

Finally, it is easier to back the performance off of a larger cartidge than to increase performance of a smaller one. Good luck in your decision.

James

WOW!!! You folks really know how to clear up a guys thoughts. Being a democratic kind of person it looks like a 300RUM in the crystal ball. One thing that was pointed out that I didn't consider was "efficient" bullet weights for each cartridge (DUH to me). To really compare apples-to-apples I need to look at the best load for each cartridge, not just the same bulet weight.

Thank you for all your inputs. This is really a great board/group of poeple.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.