30 caliber bullets

ann brezinski

trying to keep recoil low what do you think of the 165 grain bullets for deer using the 300 Winchester magnum with a 700 yard limit?
gary b

It'll do it, especially if you are pushing them hard and not looking for reduced loads.
I have been loading the 165 gamekings for a buddy @ 3150 fps and he has a 600 yard imposed limit (we are basically at sea level). These have a BC of around .4 and there are big name projectiles that run around .47. He dropped a buck this year at 550 with a behind the shoulder broadside shot and said the performance was great.

if they hold up good as a hunting bullet then yes they are all and then some you will need to kill a deer at 700 yrds and less
i use something half that weight out to just past 400 yrds and works ever time
there is so much more to a hunting bullet for long range other then bc
i bullet to will work well at those speeds they will be going at 700yrds and under and how well they group. i will take a bullet with low bc that will stay together and groups very good over using a bullet just because it has a high bc.. having a high bc does not on its own tell you that it will be the best grouping bullet in your rifle EVER

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction !! If want to harvest game at 700 yards it's going to take some energy which means velocity in order to get there...you must expect some recoil when your shooting any .30 cal magnum !!

Were I you, I'd handle recoil with a muzzle brake and shoot the best bullet for the intended purpose. For what you are trying to do that bullet today appears to be one of the new Hornady ELD-Xs. The gel block tests for those look to be about as good as it gets and they are shooting really well in my rifles. Oh, and the tips don't deform from stagnation heating like all other plastic tipped bullet on the market.

I'd look at the 165 Swift Scirocco for what you describe. Driven at 3100-3150 in a 24" tube, faster in a longer one, it would do the trick at the ranges you describe. Strong enough to take the point blank and/or raking shots but will reliably open at long range. The new 168 TMK looks to be a bullet I would try on deer especially at long range.

The 165 Scirocco at 3150 would be traveling at over 1800 fps at 700 yards.

Reuben

Last edited:
that swift scirocco is a much better bullet now then when it first came out. the early scirocco was a little light and staying together which they took care of with the scirocco II . i have used them on a few shots kinda close in and a cpl getting out there a bit. 1 caribou at 600 yrds and 1 bull elk at 575 using a 140 gr in 6.5. based on those 2 longer shots i would have to trouble using them out past that 600 yrd mark at the speed i am pushing them so in that 30 cal 165 you should close to the same results

I'd look at the 165 Swift Scirocco for what you describe. Driven at 3100-3150 in a 24" tube, faster in a longer one, it would do the trick at the ranges you describe. Strong enough to take the point blank and/or raking shots but will reliably open at long range. The new 168 TMK looks to be a bullet I would try on deer especially at long range.

The 165 Scirocco at 3150 would be traveling at over 1800 fps at 700 yards.

Reuben
After my trip to Africa and the luck I had with the Siroccos I'd not recommend them for anything under 300yds because of over expansion and doing some crazy things inside. I was shooting 180's in my 300wm and they were not tracking true. On my Blue Wildebeest it only penetrated about three inches and took a 90 degree turn exiting through the shoulder after entering the brisket just above the sternum.

I've had them do similar things on white tails taken at under 300yds as well.

The Hornady Interbond is my go to and they have never failed to perform properly for me so if the new ELD-X doesn't suit me I'm going back to the Interbond.

If you use 165 Nosler Ballistic tips you should be just fine. We shoot a lot here for fun and that's the exact combo my buddy shoots. 300 WM with 165 BT. At 500 yards this load hits harder than my other buddies 7 mm ultra mag. My buddies 7 rum was leaving splatter marks on the gong at 500 while the other buddies 300WM with 165s was punching holes right thru the gong. Out of the dozen or so guns we shot that day his 300 WM was the only gun that went thru the gong. Based on what I saw there I'd say if you use 165 Nosler BT in your WM you should have plenty of energy at 700 to take deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.