30 caliber bullet diameter should be?

rufous

I ordered a Redding Full Length Type S bushing sizing die for my 300 Win Mag. To select the proper sizing button they suggest getting one that is 0.001" smaller than the loaded round neck diameter. I am using Lapua cases and they are measuring 0.3355 to 0.3363". So I got the 0.334" titanium bushing.

But in checking my loaded round neck diameter I decided to measure some bullet diameters and found that the box of Nosler 200 Accubond bullets that I have on hand were 0.3075", not the 0.3080" that I expected. Does this matter much or would they still obturate adequately to avoid any gas blowby? Would them being undersized cause any accuracy problems? Thanks, Rufous.

what is the loaded round diameter?

That is the key and way Redding talks to do it (.001 under the smallest avg neck diameter of the loaded rounds). Also if you read carefully they are intimating neck turned cases which is normally BR standards, ie single shot and very little neck tension.

they also state that using Type S bushings and unturned necks, go .002 under the smallest average loaded round.

It looks like you gave the unloaded case neck dimensions. That is not an accurate way to determine what size bushing.

Also you may find that only .001 neck tension is not enough to hold the bullet in the case with the recoil of a magnum in a magazine. Testing shooting with loaded mag will tell you if they creep forward.

BH

Loaded round neck diameter is running 0.3355 to 0.3363". I do also intend to crimp the neck with my Lee Factory Crimp Die. Rufous.

Rufous, my thinking is I can't imagine going to all the trouble of using a bushing style die meant for precision reloading as Bounty Hunter pointed out and then crimp the neck. why mess with all that fine tuning technique if you're gonna crimp?

[ QUOTE ]
Loaded round neck diameter is running 0.3355 to 0.3363". I do also intend to crimp the neck with my Lee Factory Crimp Die. Rufous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to add another variable??....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I have been using the Lee Factory Crimp Die for years with great results. The previous barrel was typically giving me 1.7" groups at 250 yards with the Barnes 180 TSX. I know most of you would not be impressed with that as you are after 4 or 5" groups at 1000 yards but I am a 600 yard hunter at most at this point. My purpose in going with the Type S bushing die is to hopefully get more concentricity (less runout) and also to work the case neck less, thereby hopefully giving me longer case life. I do not want to have my bullets moving in the neck while in the magazine. Additionally I spent a weekend playing guide on a spring bear hunt for Randy Brooks of Barnes Bullets and he said that he favors crimping his bullets. He said it tends to give lower extreme spreads in velocity. Anyway it has worked well for me in the past. How is it in your experience that crimping ruins the results of precision handloading? Have you used the Lee Factory Crimp Die? Rufous.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.